Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Cheapest Saber Possible

Yeah, the 2010 Hasbro has its own speaker and they are $16 at my local Walmart.

EDIT: It does take some careful handling to remove it without damaging it, but I find if you take either a razorblade or a sharp knife and cut along the seams a few times, it should all come out in one piece. I kind of have a nice method to it, now.

The biggest problem with the 2010 economy speaker is that the volume, in my opinion, leaves a bit to be desired.

I would definitely make sure to have adequate resonance size in the hilt.

For $16, you get the audio board, speaker, working momentary switch and 3 accent LEDs. You can use the collapsing blade tube cut to length to hold the sound board. too bad you can't use the battery holder.

When I did my daughter's Cleopatra saber, I used a 3xAAA battery holder out of a $1 flashlight from Dollar General or similar $1 store.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Oh darn, the 2010 boards are $20 near me, sucks. Thanks for the tip for cutting them out though.

Youngling

Well, my 2 cents are if you are trying to build the "cheapest" possible saber as the title proclaims, you need to nix the sound. With out the sound, you will reduce your cost by at least 30$

here are my costs

PVC - 2" of 1" and 2" of 1.25" = 5.00
    PVC end & fitting to make pommel = 1.50

ELECTRONIC - LED, OPTICS, AND HOLDER + shipping = $12.00

BLADE - Trans white polyC 1" and shouldered mirror tip + shipping $17.00

SWITCH - 11.00 plus shipping

Misc. hardware and paint - 5.00 - 15.00 depending on color

I get my switches and blades from TCSS together to reduce shipping.

So in total for my PVC sabers without my time to cut and sand

$ 40.00 for just parts

Do not make the cheapest possible is my 2 cents. Do, or do not. Proud you will not be of a cheapest possible saber.

As much thought, effort and resources as you can you must put into your saber if you are to be proud of your creation.

very true if you going cheap route you no be very happy with the outcome....put more time and money into your saber ....way you have something thats not cheap and won't break at first strike.....just my 2 cents

Yep. You learn very quickly that when buying stuff online, or for building sabers (in our case), you get what you pay for.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

If I'm making a saber for a 9 year old, I wouldn't spend $200 in parts. I'd try to make it as cheap as possible, because you know how kids are with toys ^.^

And I think the point of the OP was to be cheap WITH sounds. It's very true that it could be much cheaper without, though.

If I'm making a saber for a 9 year old, I wouldn't spend $200 in parts. I'd try to make it as cheap as possible, because you know how kids are with toys ^.^
    This depends on the kid I think.

If you give any kid a cheapest possible saber me thinks it is destined for destruction.

That's usually the plan Give him a thick walled blade and let him go to town.

And the cheapest custom saber is still lightyears ahead of one of the cheap plastic ones from Walmart!