Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: I'll just leave this here...

Funny thing you say that...

From the Lucasfilm press release:

It has come to our attention that a company called Wicked Lasers is selling a highly dangerous product out of Hong Kong that is designed to look like a lightsaber from Star Wars. This product is not licensed or approved by Lucasfilm in any way. We have demanded that Wicked Lasers immediately cease and desist their infringing activities. As Wicked Lasers itself admits, this product can cause serious injury to the user and other people. We strongly discourage consumers from purchasing it.
    *source* http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/lucas-d...eal-lights.php
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

First of all I don't want to buy this laser. I have absolutely no use for it and I understand the dangers of it. However... "Lucas" (when I say Lucas, I mean his business holdings, not the man himself) doesn't have a case and if there's any justice left in the world, the judge and/or jury will see it that way too.

Wicked Lasers have not used any copyrighted terms when marketing this product. They have not once mentioned the words "Star Wars" or "lightsaber" or anything near it. In fact, this laser looks more like a tactical assault rifle accessory than a Star Wars one. Regardless, it is most certainly not infringing on anything Star Wars related. However because of all these websites stating that it resembles a Star Wars lightsaber, it got Lucas' attention and that company wants to make sure that they in no way endorse the product or are affliated with and are not mistakenly sued by anyone getting hurt by it.

Apparantly Lucas feels that a lawsuit is the answer. This is not Wicked Laser's fault, this is the fault of every website out there comparing it to a lightsaber. If Lucas is going to sue anyone, it should be the people behind those websites, not Wicked Lasers. If WL had shaped it like a gun, Paramount (Star Trek) would be suing which again would be just plain stupid.

Now as for that laser being possibly illegal in the US, that's a matter for US customs/law enforcement to pursue on their own. As such, I hope Lucas loses... big time.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Remember, its not just websites and blogs.

I heard this on the news, and it said Lightsaber™ right there. They mentioned Star Wars™, and Jedi™.
    And hearing it on the news, is effectively advertising.

There is a lot more scope for this.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Yup, it's simply people calling it a lightsaber that started this. I am kinda into lasers & have seen whats on the wicked site for a couple years now.

The spyder 3 has been on the market with green diodes that can pop balloons for well over a year now. Only after the 1w blue diode was put in it did lucascorp start complaining. I guess you start infringing on SW technology once you go over the 1w power threshold.
    Last edited by Sunrider; 07-07-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Lucasfilms' threatened lawsuit (and it remains just a threat at this point) is no doubt legally baseless. But that doesn't make it meaningless. At the risk of repeating myself, I think Lucasfilms' goal is not to jealousy guard intellectual rights, but rather to vehemently distance themselves from a dangerous product.

In this day and age, when parents are quick to blame anyone and everyone but themselves for their children's tragedies and/or stupidities (particularly if that someone is a big corporation with deep pockets), I think Lucasfilms' actions are perfectly reasonable. And I seriously doubt they will put much effort into pursuing legal action against Wicked. Lucasfilms' job here is finished. Now, when some idiot files a lawsuit against Lucasfilms, blaming them for the fact that her son burned out his little sister's eyes with one of Wicked's lasers (because, of course, it's Lucas' fault for popularizing the whole concept of the lightsaber), Lucasfilms has a stack of very public documentation to fight back with.

I don't see why people are so quick to portray Lucasfilms as the villain here. TCSS would not exist if Lucasfilms was so jealous of their intellectual rights. (Just imagine if Disney owned Star Wars!) They know that its fans like us who promote the Star Wars franchise during off-years when there's nothing in the theaters or on the TV.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Matt, you make some good points. I should have uses "baseless" instead of "meaningless" and your right, I also believe that it's not about intellectual property in this case but about distancing themselves from a potentially harmful product.

I guess I'm just upset because they have threatened to sue and don't have any actual legal basis for it. I understand their reasons, I just don't agree with the steps they have chosen to pursue regarding this matter and I hope the "law" sees it that way too... if it come downs to that.

Basically instead of issuing a C&D and threatening to sue, they should have just stated to anyone who asks their legal dept. that they are in no way affiliated with Wicked Lasers and do not endorse their products. They also could have released a public statement on their various websites regarding this.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I think Lucasfilms' actions are perfectly reasonable. And I seriously doubt they will put much effort into pursuing legal action against Wicked. Lucasfilms' job here is finished.
    I agree if it stops there but the cease and desist letter did say stop or legal action will be taken in one week. It is true that there are corporations that are worse than lucasfilm in this way. I can't help but be disgusted with what the legal system has become.

ARKM, Sunrider, you are certainly correct about the bizarre and "extra-legal" way in which the civil law system is (ab)used these days. But considering the disturbing precedents, I can't blame Lucasfilms for trying to cover all their bases.
    There's always a bigger fish.