Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I'll just leave this here...

Personally Strydur, I think we should.

I do not support these lasers, their purchase or usage. And I don't think TCSS, or the custom lightsaber community for that matter, should either.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I think educating people about the dangers of laser diodes & high power leds is the key. Both can be dangerous. Maybe some sort of warning information is in order for the uninformed. Just like with any weapon knowing the dangers is the key to safety. Ignoring the fact that these types of things are becoming more available is dangerous as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    They are already illegal. Wickedlasers ships them in boxes labeled as custom pens. Anything above like 4mW is illegal to have.
    Do you have any refrences for that? I'm curious.... I think most of the LED's we use in sabers are considered "Class II" laser devices... or some such.

I'd be interested in doing some research on it. Laser Class levels, the law and YOU!. LOL.

Interesting find though...

(Off to play on Google...)

The 1w Blue Laser is a class 4 laser. There are a few videos on YouTube demonstrating the amazing power of this laser. I have been considering purchasing one, but now I don't know.

The other thing I've been trying to confirm, but can't, is what the range is on the laser that the beam is most dangerous. I've heard that it is only the first 3 feet, but I have yet to confirm that.
    No... There is another...

I have to admit, when I first looked at the link, I laughed, because it was so obviously intended to look like a lightsaber. But, seriously, what legitimate use is there for it, apart from the "amaze (and possibly blind) your friends!" factor? Sending Morse code signals to the Moon? If this was an experimental device, or intended for strictly scientific purposes, I would have no objection to seeing it linked here in the "New technology" section...but this is actually for sale to anybody willing to fork over $200. All their disclaimers about danger are pretty much negated by the fact that they ship them with false labels. This is clearly not a responsible company. I'm thinking links to this company don't have a legitimate place here on the TCSS forums.

Just my two Republic Credits.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Looking at this I can't help but want to buy one, but really, what's the point in owning one? It's not a useful tool and it's too dangerous to "play" with or show to friends. I'm glad you posted the link, because as a design it's quite nice--I think there are a few of us who might borrow some of its design elements for our lightsaber hilts.

Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming....ex.html?hpt=C2

Old GL seems to think he owns the rights to all cylinders. Wonder if our hobby will be the next victim of his ego?

I've seen a lot of SW saber hilts & the laser looks nothing like any SW I ever saw. Corporate egos strike back!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMedic View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming....ex.html?hpt=C2

Old GL seems to think he owns the rights to all cylinders. Wonder if our hobby will be the next victim of his ego?
    I think it has less to do with ego than with corporate image. This laser is wicked dangerous, and you, I and anyone who's ever seen Star Wars knows that it is intended to resemble a lightsaber. I believe the point of the C&D letter is to very publicly disavow any connection with a product that is certain to lead to injuries. If it was simply about jealousy guarding trademarks and copyrights, Parks Sabers would have been shut down long ago.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Could be. It's kinda funny that the lightsaber is supposed to resemble an extremely dangerous weapon and if someone actually created one they would be in legal trouble even though it is a fictional weapon.