Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A step by step of my brother in laws saber

Default Next three steps.

Here's the next three steps.
    1. I now have the parts completely hand sanded.
    2. I carefully screw in the wood inserts. I say carefully becase they can have a tendencey to break off at the slotted area if you try to screw them in to fast. This step can also be a pain trying to keep the inserts straight.
    3. Now with my dremel. I cut off the inserts. I cut them half way through, let them cool and them cut them completly off. If you try to cut them all the way off in one shot, they'll get hot and melt the pvc. After cutting them off I use the sanding drum to sand down the inserts until they're flush. Next step will be painting. I should be able to start that tomorrow. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, this is totally incredible.. for me anyways. Great stuff. Gives me hope for and ideas for my saber. Is there some special type of pvc you used? I haven't found any that slides in snug as an overlay. Either it is too tight (won't fit in) or too loose.

Duncan, I'm just using 1" & 1 1/4" pvc. With this saber I'm using 1" male & female electrical pvc connectors for the pommel. The 1 1/4" pvc dosen't fit snug over the 1" pvc but I don't worry about that because I screw it down.
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 06-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.

ok, I thought you found something that had a good fit. Screwing it down locks it in place, but will it leave a noticable gap on one side?

edit..
    Ok took a closer look at one of your pics with the sleeves put on. Yes there is a gap. I quick thought that popped into my head would be to put some plastic/vinyl lining of some sort with texture under the area with the cuttout. Big enough to fill in the gap (tighten up the fit) and give the illussion of another level of detail. Just a thought.
    Last edited by duncan29793; 06-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Default Painting

My brother in law wants his saber to be black & blue. I've been wanting to a weathered effect. So I'm taking the opportunity with his hilt to try it.
    1. I tape off the inserts so paint won't clog the threads of the inserts. I also tape off the the threads & the spot to be glued on the pvc.
    2.& 3. I sprayed 2 coats of silver over all the parts.
    4.& 5. I sprayed 1 coat of gloss black on the main body of the hilt and matallic blue on the shroud, grip, & pommel parts. The plan here is to let the paint dry overnight. Then I'm going to take 220 grit sandpaper & lightly sand parts of the hilt, shroud, grip, & pommel to reveal the silver under the black & blue paint. I think that will give me a nice weathered effect.

Youngling

well, thanks to you i know am on my way to doing a "Midian" inspired saber.

and I have a fiance who wants to beat me for making ANOTHER saber....

thanks alot!

i cant wait to see how the painting comes out on this one, the weathering should be a nice touch.

Default Weathered parts

Havok, that's cool. I know how you feel. I use to drive my wife nuts with saber talk. Now she's use to it, and justs lets me go.
    Here are the parts all painted and weathered.
    1. Nice new hilt parts.
    2. Now they're worn. They look like they've been sitting on a work bench forever. I sanded them down with 220 grit sandpaper. The Testors metallic blue was a little more difficult to sand than the Krylon.
    3. Time to assemble the hilt. I glued the female connector to the hilt. I then put the o-rings on the end cap & glue the end cap to the male connector. I put the other o-rings on the threaded part of the male connector. Then screwed it together. I also put an o-ring between the pommel & grip. I use 8/32 3/8" button head screws for attaching the shroud & grip.
    4. Now we have a hilt that looks as if it has been dragged from one end of the galaxy to the other.
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 06-14-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Default Completed hilt

Here are all angles of the hilt. I'm really happy with the way this hilt has turned out. I don't want to give it to my brother in law. I'm going to order the electronics in about a week in half or 2. I have to wait until payday. I already have a blue luxIII for it. I just have to order the rest. When I get the electronics I'll post pics on the wiring. Thank you.

wow, that is simply amazing. GREAT JOB.

Now THAT is one awesome PVC saber.
    Reminds me a bit of Crystal Chamber's Mantis with the weathering and all.

But still, that is one of the few good looking blue sabers.

Next up, BLADE!
    Im thinking an orange one will look pretty good with the blue...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling