Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "Mantis"

Youngling

Crystal, awesome saber. I love the design theme and the overlay. Excellent work. I would love, however to see this in a ..green oriental theme. Being called the mantis and looking so agressive like it does, I think making it a sister saber, but a sith, with jades and a more oriental feel would be amazing!

awesome pics BTW, way to keep the nature theme!

I absolutely love this saber! The weathering, the shroud work and the paint job are just spot on awesome! I also dig the name and concept behind it. Again fantastic.

Well, I think you already know how I feel about this one. The only important thing I can ask now is... when can I commission you to paint one for me?

Thumbs up

As with all that i've seen from you, I love this saber!!! This one takes the cake, though!
    I can't express the envy I have for this saber!! Your paint skills are most impressive!(sorry, channeling Vader here)

I really like this saber. It was my favorite from the MHS sabers. The overlay, x-wing paint scheme, and weathering are all awesome. I want one.

And as a fellow graphic designer I like the pic layout as well. Great work.

Congratz on this saber. Definitely looks amazing, along with your presentation.

My first thoughts would be that this would be the perfect saber you would find aboard an X-wing.
    "A Jedi Master always said this to each of his students before their first lesson: Cross an unfamiliar river without first discerning its depths and shallows, and you will drown in its currents without reaching your goal. Being a Jedi is no different. Identify the pitfalls and learn the proper path, or you fail the Order and sacrifice yourself to no good purpose."

This was easily the best MHS. It is beautiful.

The overlay has a very smooth cut, and the paintjob is just simply amazing.

So is your presentation.

(And signature )

Sweet work. Was "preying monk" an intentional play on words?
    There's always a bigger fish.

Wow so much to reply to...I will keep my answer simple and just say yes...lol

But seriously you guys are so awesome to be as helpful as you've all been and also to appreciate everything that went into this build. Considering this is my first completed and posted saber, this is all so overwhelming. All the posts and PM'd compliments,feedback, and even criticism are very welcome.

To answer some questions...

Darth Midian - Since I drew this on illustrator and attached it with spray adhesive the hardest thing about cutting this was breaking through some reinforced cut-off wheels but even more so was filing the angles and curves to be consistent.

Jamo-up - Yes I'm really not crazy about the switch. The most aggravating part is when you bump it, it cuts out and turns the blade back on. I also was unaware that the Mace board has what appears to be a DPDT so when I turn it off the retraction sound won't activate. But that should be easy enough to fix. I plan to make a small switch plate with a low profile latching slider.

Shadar - I wasn't sure if size would be a problem since it is just a link really. If this is a problem I could re-size or do a new layout if need be. It is actually four parts that appear as two. I'm not sure why the bottom scaled itself that way.

Havok
    - that is not a bad idea..Jaded Mantis..Sith version. I would make a few other changes but similar style.

Matt Thorn
    - touche!..lol...normally I would have been more thorough in my spelling. One more small correction to make.

I would love to pretend this saber is perfect but this is my first MR board. I don't think I could fit anything else into it it is sooo crammed. I waited till the day of the deadline to wire it and I couldn't really ask for help. I did well considering...just a few small fixes. Aside from the switch issue, a week later the amber LED started blinking which is what I wanted but this LED isn't supposed to blink. Also I need to fix the sensor so it won't move. It was working really really good but it shifted position and the clash won't work now. When it was optimal the clash went off almost every contact. Better then in the MR hilt actually.

Since this is how I entered the saber I think I will have to make a new thread for the upgrades.

I have 4 other sabers that just need some final touches on the hilts and wiring so I should have some new sabers up really soon! To top it off for those who didn't catch me bugging out, in the same week as the contest I got a CFV5! So exciting!

CFV5, That should be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you do with that.