Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Mantis"

Default "Mantis"

I've never seen anyone post images like this before so I hope it's not a problem. I couldn't resist.

This is my first completed saber since I joined here 8 months back. I will be updating it as I make a few small upgrades and get better pictures of it lit.

The overlay was designed in illustrator, printed and test fit until ready to cut. I used 2 coats of white primer made for aluminum, and then krylon spray paint to do a white, ivory, and classic grey fade with a light dusting of flat black. I did this when the primer was dried but not cured knowing it would cause a crackled effect for that extreme conditions look. Very unpredictable because some types of paint make bubbles like this, but worked to my liking in this case. Then I baked it at 300f for 30 mins. I then used really skinny painters tape to mask off the area for the next fade of terracotta, burgundy, and black with a light dusting of navy blue. After scuffing with steel wool, sandpaper and a file, I coated it twice with enamel clear satin finish and baked again for 30 mins at 300f.

The MHS parts underneath were originally media blasted. I thought this would make for an interesting texture to weather, so I sprayed a thin coat of tremclad bronze and gave it a light sanding and then the same for a light dusting of flat black. I coated it twice with enamel clear satin finish and baked again for 30 mins at 300f.

This was actually my second build for the contest as I got inspired and felt the newer design was better. It's my first MR board and I put the sensor in the choke so it reacts VERY well. I wanted to add a LED driver but this thing is SOOO crammed
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 06-16-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Thats a great looking saber, I really like it, you have done a great job

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Awesome saber. That was my favorite in the MHS category of the contest. Great job.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Great looking saber it just oozes coolness... Overlay rocks, name rocks, blade colour... ROCKS!!! Sabers like this are hugely inspiring and make me want to build more!!! Well done both thumbs up for another "real" saber...
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

CC, that is a great looking saber. The cuts on your overlay are very clean. That had to be a pain to cut. The weathering you did is also awesome. That's a great idea for a display rack.
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 06-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Looks great. You have real talent with the paintng and weathering of that shroud.
    I find that switch with the bezel is hard to turn off. How is it working for you?

Crystal,

I really like your presentation.

I really find that you have a creativity, (not to mention a gender) that is sorely lacking in this hobby. Your use of enamels, weathering etc is simply genius. you have been a great addition to have here on these forums and an inspiration to many, myself included. Thank you for your contribution to the hobby, your saber makes me happy

*Edit* images re-sized
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 06-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

As you know, this was my favourite MHS saber. Which says something, considering it wasn't steampunk! Excellent work

Nice overlay and paint job.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    Crystal,

I really like your presentation (i think its larger than the 800x600 but otherwise is fantastic)

I really find that you have a creativity, (not to mention a gender) that is sorely lacking in this hobby. Your use of enamels, weathering etc is simply genius. you have been a great addition to have here on these forums and an inspiration to many, myself included. Thank you for your contribution to the hobby, your saber makes me happy
    Ditto what Shadar said. The hard work and patience you put into this build and how you presented it really shows. Very, very nice job!
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.