Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Tri-star

Default Rebel Tri-star

I just picked up one of these to play around with.

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Red-Orange...-h0050-20t.htm

it's a rebel tri-star rated at about 300 lm @ 3vf at 700ma got an 18deg lens as well I figure it will take some modification to place but I like the challenge. Anyone else have any experience with these?
    Last edited by Agelessanarchy; 06-07-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Its not going to work very well for you. The endor tri-Rebels put the LEDs too far away for effective focusing. There is another type tri-Rebel star that people use for sabers from led-tech. X-wing has many posts about this. The LEDs are much closer together. Granted you will have to learn how to do reflow soldering.

I have often wondered what Lumileds was thinking when they designed the Endor Tri-Rebels. The name itself suggests that they might have had sabersmiths in mind as a potential market (Come on: Endor? Rebels?), yet the design makes it so hard to use in a saber.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's awfully "sabercentric" to read that much into the word Endor, considering how small a niche that lightsaber building is in the grand scheme of LED manufacture.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Maybe but Endor doesnt really have any other use than in connection to SW and since it used Rebel LEDs its hard to think its entirely coincidental. But the fact they never came out with a tight optic does make one rather doubt they were thinking of our tiny little [but cool ] segment of the much larger market.

Wink

I got one of those too.
    My $0.02:
    The lens has an integrated holder, which is a nice feature. The problem? It's kinda short in height compared to what we normally use for the TCSS system.
    My solution? Incorporate these into a 1.25" MHS bladeholder sink tube adapter - since the heatsink can slide in to adjust to take up the slack of the extra space. Ta Da....

As for the optics - yes, 18 degrees is less than optimal. I'm going to experiment a little bit to see if maybe by collimating the lens if we can narrow the beam a bit for our purposes.

At least that's what *I* plan on doing with these...
    Will it be brighter than a Lux III? My guess is probably not. But we won't know till we try.
    LOCKHEED

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    Its not going to work very well for you. The endor tri-Rebels put the LEDs too far away for effective focusing. There is another type tri-Rebel star that people use for sabers from led-tech. X-wing has many posts about this. The LEDs are much closer together. Granted you will have to learn how to do reflow soldering.
    I think you have it backwards Vargose the endor stars were the ones that X-wingband was using and the reg lens work fine. These are Endor http://www.luxeonstar.com/Luxeon-End...-LEDs-s/85.htm but they have been discountinued. The stars Agelessanarchy was talking about are the ones that are to far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    That's awfully "sabercentric" to read that much into the word Endor, considering how small a niche that lightsaber building is in the grand scheme of LED manufacture.
    To be sure, it would be surprising if we even registered on their radar. But you have to admit, it is an odd coincidence. On the other hand:

1. 6-sided PCB mounts are commonly called "stars"
    2. Presumably plenty of geeks work in the field of LEDs and related tech
    3. A geek presented with the word "star" would naturally think "star wars" and/or "star trek"
    4. A geek might, for a lark, propose the words "rebel" and "Endor" as product names, with non-geek top management being none the wiser

Then again, being geeks, it seems plausible that one or more of them were aware that their LEDs were being used to make lightsabers.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I suppose anything is possible....
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I suppose anything is possible....
    We geeks are everywhere.