Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: How I'd change the Star Wars Universe

One of my favorite things about Star Wars and any other large fiction universe (Harry Potter etc.) is that there is seemingly a whole world out there, where you could not possibly know everything about it. If I could change SW, I would get rid of some situations where things unrealistically overlap. The creature names for the forms for an example: Rancor, Mynock, Sarlacc, etc., it sort of makes it seem like there are only a dozen creatures in the SW universe. (Of course there are others, but these are all very often referenced.)

On the other hand, some things are meant to overlap by destiny: 3PO and R2 . . the importance of Tatooine etc.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to know if this kind os stuff bothers other people too?

SW

I would change things so I was in GL's place........[][)]

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

One of my biggest issues with the films are the ewoks in episode VI. Its not that I don't like them (well I don't but I don't care that they are there) its just so incredibly unrealistic that they could beat the emperor's finest troops he hand picked with only stone weapons. It might have been better if they instead had to flee with the troops in persuit and the captuered rebels would have been able to destroy the bunker during the confusion. Star Wars was all about hi-techno-realism that those scenes kinda destroyed that.

Also being born in the early 80's I didn't grow up as the films were first released. I can say with honesty that Episode IV might be my least favorite (gasp). Its slow to develop and I find I watch it the least. In my opinion they spent way too much time on the death star. Conversely I loved Episode V the best (its now tied with III). Its dark, extrememly developed, and ends perfectly. Not everything can be roses and ewoks all the time. In fact I just wish that there was one great saga that evil triumphed. There aren't any that I can think of and it would just be a great change. Imagine if luke had fallen, how much different would everything have been? Interesting at least.

A non-film rant is the completely disorganized state of the EU books, contradictions, and STUPID additions to the star wars saga. I'm pretty much of the faith that anything Timothy Zahn writes should be considered the gold standard. He has great style and his writings are very simalar to the movies. Things like a re-born emperor and chewie dying should never have been written.

Comments?

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku

I refuse to accept anything EU as cannon, unless it's referenced by multiple sources, such as the New Republic, New Jedi Order started by Luke, etc. The games are alright, as they usually just focus on a non-film character, such as Kyle Katarn, which dosen't really contradict much/ can be pushed beneath the carpet and more or less ignored.

The jedi strike force being beaten so quickly, ya that was no good. Perhaps it had to happen so quick to speed the movie along but it definately could have been cooler.

Palp could have simultaneously fried two and force threw his saber thru another during that second and then faced down mace.

If what the novel said is what Lucas wanted than why didn't lucas get it? Have him appear to move super fast...would have been a diffucult digital effect? Don't think so comparitive to what else they did..

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Beatboxer

If what the novel said is what Lucas wanted than why didn't lucas get it? Have him appear to move super fast...would have been a diffucult digital effect? Don't think so comparitive to what else they did..
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's why I don't regard EU as canon: although Lucas allegedly authorises every new story and book, you can guarantee that he gives it the merest of glances, if at all, before letting it out and getting even more money. (Not that this is a strong feeling of mine, or anything).