Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Blade development...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    For what it's worth (not much), I myself would probably never be interested in making a dark-core saber, but I am interested to see how he pulls it off. There might be other uses for the technique(s) that no one has thought of yet.
    Same here...not for me, but it would be interesting to see how it's done.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    So Senti is guilty of lying until proven innocent? What possible motivation could he have? Wait, don't answer that. I just think it's really obnoxious to accuse someone of lying without due cause.
    There is due cause here. The guy says his design is nowhere near complete, but somehow he is able to produce a photo that already looks pretty darn complete. Then he acts all shady about the particulars of his method and refuses to post more photos. That sounds suspicious, especially when he's talking about something that is nearly if not absolutely impossible. And while I don't understand what his motivation might be, he certainly wouldn't be the first to make claims that he cannot back up. Anyone remember Darth Kalel or Bodi? Remember that time travel video with the portal under the kitchen sink? Or the hutchison effect? People make big claims all the time, and sometimes it is OK to outright accuse the other guy of lying. I think this Senti guy is being dishonest as well. If you look at his photo, you can see a little bit of light flaring up around the edge of the black core. That's exactly what you would see if you took a photo of a lightsaber blade with an opaque shield laying on top of it.

He's posted more pics...it *seems* to be a number of illuminated rods on the outside of a black rod that from certain, but not all, angles could produce an appearance of a lit outline around a black core...it looks ok from those angles and might be fine for a static display saber? Since some people do make sabers for display that may be good enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    He's posted more pics...it *seems* to be a number of illuminated rods on the outside of a black rod that from certain, but not all, angles could produce an appearance of a lit outline around a black core...it looks ok from those angles and might be fine for a static display saber? Since some people do make sabers for display that may be good enough for them.
    Pretty much what i said over on FX. I think its great that he is coming up with new ideas. i just hope he does not think that this will appeal to the mainstream saber community as i believe he would be mistaken. I think the idea has merit, i just don't see the majority of people out there finding this "cool" or "exciting".
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I think it is a cool effect for what it is but agree that its use would be limited...that said if I was making a Starkiller saber for a wall display it could be AWESOME...for most sabers the tried and true methods pioneered by many of the 'veterans' here and using parts available in the TCSS store are always going to be superior imo.

But this development DOES give us somewhere to point annoying n00bs who wont do their homework and ask "how can I make a black blade" instead of having to either flame or give them a physics lesson for the umpteenth time i.e "Hey n00b ya wanna black blade okee fine just lookeee over THERE ->>".

That alone may make this worthwhile eh?

IMHO.. whether its 'cool' or will be used by the mainstream is irrelevant.. now were the trend police?

None of that has no bearing on the facts of the project/scenario...

being shady about the posts, pics & comments
    and the actual facts of light/black and all that is what matters.

Doesnt matter about his run anyways.. it will be RE'd as soon as one gets bought.. and someone will out him as being a fake or out the 'secret'.

Im just of the mind-set as many here are.. dont post about things you are GOING TO DO.. post development.. finished pics.. something substantial..

if I start hearing about solder being melted because it was left outside...I'll know what to do next! hahaha

OK,

You all know how I feel about the idea, but upon further reading and based on the pictures that have been provided, I am very impressed.

While it's not my type of blade, I have to highly applaud the results as it's truly innovative and unique and goes in a direction that I never really expected to work.

That being said, Senti has every right to protect his idea and not reveal how it is accomplished until he feels that the results are satisfactory.

As with any new developments in the saber world it's better to not reveal everything right away as it gives the sabersmith time to work out any kinks in the design and to avoid people disregarding it as a flawed. (As I was wrong to do from the beginning.)

Having come up with some original designs for different aspects of saber building I can fully understand Senti's motives of not wanting to reveal his technique. It doesn't mean that there is anything shady going on, but if he's come across a break through that could alter how we make sabers in the future then he may just want to test them fully to ensure that the progress made isn't a fluke and gets everyone's interests riled up for no reason.

I stand corrected in my short sightedness.

Psab Keel
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    IMHO.. whether its 'cool' or will be used by the mainstream is irrelevant.. now were the trend police?

None of that has no bearing on the facts of the project/scenario...

being shady about the posts, pics & comments
    and the actual facts of light/black and all that is what matters.

Doesnt matter about his run anyways.. it will be RE'd as soon as one gets bought.. and someone will out him as being a fake or out the 'secret'.

Im just of the mind-set as many here are.. dont post about things you are GOING TO DO.. post development.. finished pics.. something substantial..

if I start hearing about solder being melted because it was left outside...I'll know what to do next! hahaha
    Please do not misunderstand, my comment was not to be taken as attempting to be the trend police. My comment simply meant that i hope he does not have high hopes for this to be something that will become an industry standard and then be let down in this regard. That is never fun for anyone.

My point in commenting in such a manner was simply in response more to his initial "tone" and the hype that followed. It seems as if he brought in the idea, presenting it to the community as a breakthrough of something long coming in achievement and in a way it is.

Whether it is "cool" or not is up to everyone's individual tastes and opinions. I am not someone who is qualified to determine if an idea is a good one or not. Only to give my opinion.

I think it has its applications. I think there is room for innovations like this in the hobby. I do not think that it has widespread appeal or that it will become the "next big thing" that everyone will be doing on their sabers like crystal chambers or reverse sound...

Time may prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 06-07-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Well he has now said it does not use rods and if so I must retract my supoosition that this will be a display blade technology...it may have wide applicability afterall. How it will be accepted in the saber hobby will be for each of us to decide on our own...some may like it, some not.

But lets applaud a fellow saberfan for achieving something most of us have thought impossible or at least impractical. The spirit of innovation and the effort to realize it is something worthy of respect in this hobby, as anywhere eh?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I know one saber that it will look great with. That is the Dark Light saber from the Clone Wars that I am making. lol I will post pics over here when I get closer to being done.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php