Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Black Blade development...

Apologies to Tyhm for my overreaction and the tone of my post. It was more a reaction to a series of posts Tyhm has made and what I see as a pattern.

In all sincerity, Tyhm: read your own signature, then look back over your own posts; there's a contradiction there, though you may not see it. I believe your time would be better spent building some sabers, rather than critiquing others and offering advice based entirely on speculation that is not grounded in experience.

As for the lenticular idea, I think Sunrider pretty much nailed it. So far, the only theories that have been put forward and seem to stand up to scrutiny seem to be beyond the means of a lone hobbyist who does not have a few thousand dollars to throw around. Though I have no doubt there are possibilities we have yet to think of.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
    We're in a religious debate now?

I was just drawing Sun's attention to an unreplied-to suggestion on his own theory; dunno why you're biting my head off over it. As to the Very Short Lightsaber, talk to Timerender, it took me ages to even get the concession that it'd make any saber at all...and I Did qualify it that I Don't have experience in these matters. Feel free to prove me wrong; I still say the more distance between the LED and the "wall", the longer the effective range of the beam...

The hell, Thorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Tyhm
    Cursing is not allowed here, we all know what you meant when you so rudely typed out your cute little symbols to Matt (who was trying to help you by the way). If you imply a word you might as well say it.

Follow the guidelines please.

I'm beginning to tire of this...
    ??? Cute little symbols? Are we not allowed to say Hell in a religious debate or something?
    I really don't see where I was censored...

(added)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    As for the lenticular idea it would have to be carefully thought out & professionally printed. It would also be expensive. The most ply able sheet and correct lens shape would need to be used. There are many different kinds of sheet. I'm guessing for 400 bucks you could get a sheet that would make a few blades but idk.
    Did I post you that thing on youtube? Hangon, I'll see if I can find it again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvvcR...layer_embedded
    Apparently there's a book...? I'm not really sure, I haven't looked too deeply into it, but it's Possible to print this kind of stuff, so maybe...but yeah, it would be a nontrivial task to print one big enough for a whole lightsaber, AND glue it Evenly to the inside of a sheet, AND in such a way that it maintains its position when rolled...that last part would be easier if you happened to have access to one of those giant Blueprint printers that architects use, and if you could feed through the lens sheet, and if it fed through perfectly...the mind boggles, but still, we could test the theory. I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I'm at the dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Apologies to Tyhm for my overreaction and the tone of my post. It was more a reaction to a series of posts Tyhm has made and what I see as a pattern.

In all sincerity, Tyhm: read your own signature, then look back over your own posts; there's a contradiction there, though you may not see it. I believe your time would be better spent building some sabers, rather than critiquing others and offering advice based entirely on speculation that is not grounded in experience.

As for the lenticular idea, I think Sunrider pretty much nailed it. So far, the only theories that have been put forward and seem to stand up to scrutiny seem to be beyond the means of a lone hobbyist who does not have a few thousand dollars to throw around. Though I have no doubt there are possibilities we have yet to think of.
    Yes, I have a pattern of getting grumpy and defensive; you guys are the elites of the saber building community and have a tendency towards elitism, and a thin skin when it comes to getting called on it. Life goes on; I've given up on the assumption I can improve the community as a newbie, or that I can contribute meaningfully to the big boys' tech talk, and even that I have a better perspective on a newbie's first impressions of this place anymore. But this theory interests me, so I'm still here. I like the impossible.
    Last edited by Tyhm; 07-14-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

[[begin warning]] This thread is getting a little "out-of-pocket". Please check yourselves at the door, and keep things to HEALTHY discussion... not just PLAIN discussion.

--your friendly, neighborhood Novastar [[end warning]]

Although I've little to add to this thread, I will say that Yoda (of FX-Sabers) and I talked about lenticular-style work on polycarbonate blades as far back as 2008 or so... but yes indeed... as Matt T. & Sunrider noted... that's an expensive (read: EXPEN$$$$IVE) and nightmare-ishly challenging engineering project... even for the best of 'em.

And this was simply about a "normal" lighting system (for non-"black" sabers), all about making blades take FULL (??) advantage of the (already limited) light output that comes from the whole main setup we're all used to using. That being a single, high-powered LED with a normal reflection angle of >=120 deg that is then optically altered to something more akin to 10 or 20 deg, WHICH is then promptly shoved into a long 1" diameter tube, WHICH is then diffused by non-specific materials (such as polypropylene... "gift wrap").

Needless to say... this thread actually cracks me up... since... we've all been spending so much time trying to BRIGHTEN our blade setups over the years--it's simply flabbergasting to me that people are (possibly?) seriously considering ways to DARKEN their setups, heheheh!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    [[begin warning]] This thread is getting a little "out-of-pocket". Please check yourselves at the door, and keep things to HEALTHY discussion... not just PLAIN discussion.

--your friendly, neighborhood Novastar [[end warning]]
    Noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Although I've little to add to this thread, I will say that Yoda (of FX-Sabers) and I talked about lenticular-style work on polycarbonate blades as far back as 2008 or so... but yes indeed... as Matt T. & Sunrider noted... that's an expensive (read: EXPEN$$$$IVE) and nightmare-ishly challenging engineering project... even for the best of 'em.
    And then there's an issue we haven't even touched on: Once you've installed this intricate and expensive lenticular blade, you promptly ruin it the first time you try duel by putting countless dents in the lenticular surface.

Needless to say... this thread actually cracks me up... since... we've all been spending so much time trying to BRIGHTEN our blade setups over the years--it's simply flabbergasting to me that people are (possibly?) seriously considering ways to DARKEN their setups, heheheh!
    Don't get me started Nova. I wish it would go away. It's like a video game did a jedi mind trick on people. The idea makes no sense. What's next? A stealth lightsaber with anti sound chamber?

I'll do one better SR. I've got a stealth lightsaber with an anti-sound chamber, and the whole thing is made out of invisitanium. It's weighs next to nothing. Actually, I've got about a thousand of them. I'd offer to sell you one but that would violate the "no soliciting" policy. It's too bad too, because these things are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    I'll do one better SR. I've got a stealth lightsaber with an anti-sound chamber, and the whole thing is made out of invisitanium. It's weighs next to nothing. Actually, I've got about a thousand of them. I'd offer to sell you one but that would violate the "no soliciting" policy. It's too bad too, because these things are amazing!
    I actually stole one of those from TimeRender, though, naturally, he failed to notice its absence. Here it is in all its glory.

Jerk.

Edit: But since you're a such nice guy, I'll allow you to pay me for it in imperceptibucks.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 07-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Jerk.

Edit: But since you're a such nice guy, I'll allow you to pay me for it in imperceptibucks.
    Consider it paid, with interest. I am just rolling in imperceptibucks. And for some reason, my bank won't exchange them for yen.

Consider it paid, with interest. I am just rolling in imperceptibucks. And for some reason, my bank won't exchange them for yen.
    Stupid bank don't they know how to authenticate imperceptibucks.

The saber is beautiful btw.