Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How not to build a blade?

Default How not to build a blade?

Recently I decided that I would purchase a finished blade from a vendor online (yes my mistake) as a comparison/contrast sort of curiousity. I am not mentioning the name of said vendor in order to keep the peace.
    I just want to illistrate the value of the tutorials that are placed here on the site volentarily by people who know/enjoy what they do and do such with attention to detail.

In this pic you can tell (hopefully) the blade was placed on a lathe and "scrubbed" with 80 grit paper. It left a brownish tinge to the plastic.

The tip came off with the first swing contacting another saber blade. I have a large yard, it took a while to find .When I did find it I was hoping that at least if I had destroyed the blade, I would have an extra mirror tip. I was horribly wrong. I wish I had a camera on me to show the look on my face when I discovered the "mirror tip" was infact paint. Oddly enough I could not seem to figure out where the smell of superglue was coming from, shocked only to find it was coming from the freshly cracked off tip.

Yeah I blew $30 bucks to satisify my curiousity. Not only did I do so but I found that follwing the construction methods in the tutorials/or buying one from here that I really do get what I want. Not to mention this may be a good way to show "noobs" (even me) what not to do when constucting a blade. Use the tutorials, follow the the advice/instructions, be at one with the work.
    Especially if you think that you can make a buck or two off what you are building.
    Last edited by Noyl Wendor; 07-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Eww..

That's the worst quality blade I've ever seen.

My guess: Saberforge?

But I believe that you are allowed to say where you bought, but not maybe link us there..

If it's not allowed, then I apologize for being wrong.

Yeah tell us where you got it so others can avoid it. Also, why did you use 80 grit? I think 220 or 400 would be better.
    Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

—Darth Bane, Dark Lord of the Sith

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'll bet that is a Saberforge blade. He's known for diffusing his blades by sanding them on a lathe. That way he can be cheap by not having to add some kind of film or tube inside the blade. Though his method doesn't work very well, IMO.

I know he cheaps out on his blades, but it surprised me that he just paints the bottom of the blade tips for a reflective surface.

I imagine him also using cheap dollar store super glue for the tips. Some of those cheap glues can actually make different types of plastics brittle. It's even worse when you use them on a thin walled blade.

I wouldn't even want a free blade from Saberforge!
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Jedi View Post
    Yeah tell us where you got it so others can avoid it. Also, why did you use 80 grit? I think 220 or 400 would be better.
    I did'nt use 80 grit, it came that way out of the package. When I refinish a blade I use 220 and then 400, it looks cool, even if you don't use diffusser. The only thing I did with this blade was take it out of the package, and crack off the tip when swining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I wouldn't even want a free blade from Saberforge!
    I would

Something to use so I can smash stuff

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Smash what? Soft things, like pillows and marshmallows?

Anything harder will apparently break or crack them.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Maybe id be good for that new saber effect where the blade cracks from jedi force powers.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm glad I wasn't drinking any liquid when I read that or it would be all over my monitor screen now.

I choked on my laugh, as it was!
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I'm glad I wasn't drinking any liquid when I read that or it would be all over my monitor screen now.
    Just saying...
    Because you're a grammar fan,

What else can you drink? Gas? Solid? Plasma?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent