Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salvaged..what do i do with them?

Default Salvaged..what do i do with them?

So I live in a large apt building and they have old PCs and odd junk in the underground parking so was looking for aluminum or what not for sabers...of course and saw this black wooden set of practice swords. I pulled at them to see if there were blades in them and no luck. On a whim i brought them home and showed my roommate.

So I show my roommate and tell her they're wooden practice swords or bokkens as martial artist would call them and demonstrated how I pulled them to see if there were blades in them. And told her it was too bad they were just wood....

I was wrong...they pulled apart and...

440 stainless steel in excellent condition.

I think someone got evicted and the landlord thought they were wood like I did and just through them out.

Funny thing is I was thinking about buying a set like this only a nicer traditional one before I got into sabers and put it off cuz it seemed silly to have swords laying around. I'm not crazy about the curve or cheap wooden handles but I'm thinking maybe I can make them slightly shorter and fix the curve with nice handles. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 06-04-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

awesome find.

Rather than doing any mods, Ebay them, and put the money towards buying what you really want.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Great find. I am not sure of what you could do to them though.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I was thinking if I cut off the handle and make a new tang out of the lower blade and make new handles I could make a short sword and dagger...but maybe ebaying them is a better idea...not sure

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Personally, I like them as is. They are very well suited for a reverse grip.

You could always just give them to me.

I could give you my CFV5 too!..lol

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I could give you my CFV5 too!..lol
    That's so thoughtful. Thank you for your generosity.

Board Lurker

looks like a nice set of swords, kind of reminds me of the type of sword used by Arwen in the Lord of the Rings. I don't think you'd be able to alter the hilts though...the design of the blade indicates that the tangs (even if they are full length) are also angled and you would not be able to change them. I'd say keep them the way they are, or maybe wrap the hilts with a traditional katana braid. Check out the link below for a pic of Arwen's sword...you can see the similarity in design. Whoever made those swords you found were probably trying to duplicate the look, while retaining the katana style...

http://www.medievalware.com/v/vspfil...5UC1298-2T.jpg

Personally seeing that they are 440 Stainless blades i would either sell them or toss em in the trash.

Stainless Steel blades make me cry
    -Sidd-

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Agreed. Sell 'em. Buy a real sword if that's what you want. Anything made from 440 that's longer than 12" is a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't put too much effort into salvaging them unless you want to make a really short Tanto or something.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS