Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

Well you're definitely showing what can be done with a graflex. Personally I'd avoid doing anything similar because now it's been done. Now I want to do a graflex even more. I don't think it's a fair comparison to Yoda, because I've never seen him disguise the innards. Goodman maybe?

Now these pics are great. High res, nice lighting and composition but I really think you need to make a video when it's complete.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    woah woah woah......

wait.

WHAT?

etc. etc. etc.
    ^Slothfurnacegasm

Don't worry DJ... it happens to all of us

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    woah woah woah......

wait.

WHAT?

how have i missed this? i saw the begining.. but didnt think it would turn into this...

WHAT?

lets just say youre giving yoda at FX a VERY GOOD RUN for his money my friend.

Not sure how you did but with all due respect to Yoda this isn't just a good run as far as I've seen, this is the next step up.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Banned Sith Lord

Well to be honest I didn't want to say who's was better. I really can't decide. It's just so epic. just trying to be respectfull here.

I think they both have their place..

one is also for 'retail' (so to speak) (something to keep in mind of course..as it does often dictate build/project approach & materials...etc)

Hey guys, I would never try and make a run for Master Yoda, I am just trying to do something I like, for me.

I don't know if comparisons are needed.

But now we come to one of the final parts, and one more trick up my sleeve.

I had to just go ahead and decide to make the D ring clamp. I couldn't find any that worked, and harder still to find the right metal, then lo and behold on the floor of my garage was some thin aluminum. I cut a section out and bent it around this rod that had the same diameter of my D ring, and placed it in the vice so I could round it over to the front, and crimp it under the roll.

Here I have crimped it, and sanded on it a bit, and made sure the clamp has the amount of play in it I want for the D ring.

A little more metal removed and sanded to fit the shape of the inner bevel of the graflex endcap.

And here is the final contour and hole drilled for my stainless cap hex screw. This screw I had to shorten quite a bit so that when it's all mounted, my chassis still slides all the way to the back of the Graflex end.

After CAREFULLY drilling and tapping the Graflex endplate, this is it all put together. It's not 100% perfect, but I am very close, and satisfied for now. I am in a bit of a rush to finish this for Celebration V, and I hope to have it with me when I go.

Oh, that trick I had up my sleeve?

I drilled out the cap screw.

There's just enough purchase left for the hex wrench, and now this is my sound port. Without it, my sound is half as loud. I wanted to have a sound port back here, but I didn't want to impact the visual authenticity of the saber.

I'm not sure if you have heard, but I have been giving this build a standing ovation since post #1. (Although I don't want you to stop, my hands are getting sore)

Seriously this is truly and inspiration, so much that I added a replica graflex to my last order. If I can achieve even 1% of your outstanding work, I will count myself lucky.
    ~S~
    "My inner child lets my outer adult pay bills and that's it." - Crystal Chambers
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." - da Vinci
    "If I wanted your opinion, I'd have told you what it was" - Pemmin

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by slothfurnace View Post
    Oh, that trick I had up my sleeve?

I drilled out the cap screw.

There's just enough purchase left for the hex wrench, and now this is my sound port. Without it, my sound is half as loud. I wanted to have a sound port back here, but I didn't want to impact the visual authenticity of the saber.
    Epic sweetness!! Good stealth job on that one!
    LOCKHEED

very sweet ....sad that all finished ..well guess the rest of us will have to be inspired to do better with our crystal chambers in the future

Banned Sith Lord

i vote as well for a sticky. this is going to help me BIG time in making my own chassis. with my own style of course but using slothfurnaces technique.

so thanks again man. this is the best WIP progress for chassis construction.