Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's not so hard to figure out.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

"A lonely sailor's best friend is his ***tant."

"I hail from Sus***."

Just testing. Sorry. Quite juvenile of me.
    There's always a bigger fish.

tisk tisk tisk...

*shakes head*

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

So I've had a few hours today to devote to this... And my approach today was to fix something about my design that's been bugging me.

You may have noted from previous posts that I made a wire conduit for passing wires across the crystal chamber. I do like my conduit. It makes me not like the random bits of brass tubing that I have on the other two posts underneath the radiator.

So, as the Slothfurnace Way dictates, we must make custom parts!

This is a section of brass cut down to match the wire condut base. Notice I have one section, but two pieces. I do this so my diameters match across the two pieces, then I will cut it in the middle and have two matching pieces. It's easier to do this than to start fresh twice.

Here you see the finished pieces that match the conduit. I don't thread these on the outside, but I do thread them 6-32 on the inside to act as nuts so I can tighten the harddrive platter retainer down, and get rid of the 6-32 nut between the brass tubing and radiator as seen in the previous photos.

Now I need to turn 16 brass 6-32 nuts down to cylinders. You'll see why in a minute, but it's to further remove unsightly non-custom parts from the chassis.

These are almost the right diameter, don't think I need to shave them down any further.

And this is why I need them! I will thread them in between the plates of my radiator. I needed to do this for a couple reasons. Mainly to make more rigid my radiator, as it was a bit floppy when installed because the way it went together meant I couldn't tighten it down. The other reason is, again, to hide the unsightly threaded rod.

MUCH better, I'd say. my three support posts now match aesthetically, and are more functional to tighten things down so nothing moves.

I will polish up a few pieces and re-assemble the radiator. Yes, it will be much more tedious this way, but it's worth it. Also, the with of the brass cylinders is just a hair thinner than the width of the brass guitar string bead ends, so I may leave those out, but I haven't decided.

It's gotten to the point where praising this chassis is sort of embarrassing. Like seeing Michelangelo's La Pietà in person in Saint Peter's Basilica and saying, "Awesome! Great sculpture, dude!"

And so I feebly resort to testing the forum's censoring software again, this time with a quote from today's New York Times:
    Japan’s governing Democratic Party suffered a stinging setback in midterm elections on Sunday that showed growing voter disappointment with the party’s apparent inability to deliver on promises to revamp the country’s sclerotic postwar order.
    Hmm. It doesn't like "***tant" or "Sus***," but it let "sclerotic" slide.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 07-12-2010 at 03:23 AM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Nice work hiding the earthly hardware. Before you know it you'll have a whole new saber but I'm sure it'll be well worth it.

lol...Matt you're too funny. It's tempting to play along but I'm going to behave for once.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't remember what I said the first time I saw La Pietà. It was back in 1982.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I find this thread incredibly beautiful, inspiring, and yet depressing at the same time... <sigh>...

Still, keep the pics coming man!
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think a lot of us feel the same way.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I 'really' dig the 'cylinders' from the brass nuts!.. Im so stealing that to work on my set-up..

all you work is top notch. very insipring... (puts my cores/chassis to shame!) LOL