Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

Default slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

Howdy folks, I figure I ought to start a thread on my next saber.

I wanted to go back to the roots again, this time with a Graflex ANH Luke saber.

I picked up a cheaply priced Graflex 2 cell on ebay, and proceeded to make it into a 3 cell.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere that offered 3 cell back ends, so I decided to make my own out of some scrap capped 1.5 inch stock I had in the bin.

I used my lathe to etch the pattern for the tab slots so I could get them even and straight.

After removing the material with my dremel, it fits just as snug as the original two cell back.

Next I thought about a crystal chamber. With much inspiration from those who have gone before me, I set off on my own direction, harvesting many parts from harddrives, old clocks, etc.

I took one entire array of harddrive platters and lathed them down to fit inside the graflex rear. At this point, I have the ... middle decided on more or less, and I will be constructing from there out to either end. I want to make sure I leave enough room in the design for soundboard, speaker, batteries, etc.

The crystal chamber is made of various parts, the most intricate so far is the crystal holder, made of brass tubing, guitar string beads, some brass stock from an old clock, etc.

Here is my Aqua Aura double terminated crystal, a very nice blue without lighting, but with...

...it really shines..

I'll be posting my progress here much like my ANH Obi saber, hopefully I can tread some fresh ground with this project.

Thanks for looking,

slothfurnace.

*drools uncontrollably*

That crystal chamber is pure win, dripping with awesome sauce.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Wow,
    Very nice work. I do like you turned a 2 cell into a 3. Very cool. I also like the internal chassis, I would have never thought to use hard drive, and clock parts.
    I may be rethinking how to do the internal set up of my graflex.
    Also thanks for posting your work, its kind of hard to find good refrences for a project like this.

Two BIG thumbs up for outside-the-box thinking!!
    LOCKHEED

Nice...everything! The ideas, approach, parts, look, pics, and contribution. I've had similar ideas for salvaging parts but lack the space and time to gut things for parts. I really look forward to seeing this one complete.

Those parts are really coming together! Looks great!

Nice. This is looking great. Good job.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That is AWESOME!!! Great job.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

No dude. Stop. Please stop. I am VERY JEALOUS!
    Jealousy leads to anger...

Please! I wanna stay on the light side!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Banned Sith Lord

incredible work. very astonishing. keep it up i really want to see more of this. (man i need to build my own chassis. lol)