Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

This is insane. Absolutely wonderfull crystal chambers. But I have an answer. Doesn't it (this crystal illumination) affect the brightness of the main led or not ?
    Thumbs up

That has to be the most intricate and well thought-out crystal chamber/chassis set-ups I've ever seen! The level of detail is astounding! Very nicely done sir!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    That has to be the most intricate and well thought-out crystal chamber/chassis set-ups I've ever seen! The level of detail is astounding! Very nicely done sir!
    Thanks so much!

I am seeing the light at the tunnel on the design of this thing...

I machined a canister for my batteries and soundboard. Then I needed a fore end cap, so I turned down one of the harddrive motor mounts on my lathe, and set it so I could drill and tap for screws to seal it off.

I like the inset motor coils against the black paint of the motor mount cap. Here, I have threaded for 6-32 stainless cap screws, to hold it together.

I also took one of the hard drive platter spacers, and meticulously and tediously wrapped it in copper, for my front lens. I figured, a magnetic lens would work as well as an optical one. And I like the contrast of the copper vs the brass and chrome look.

It fits just fine in the graflex, I left the main support rods long so I can cut them down once my blade adapter arrives, but I have tape about where I estimate the adapter stops. I will fidget with the spacing a bit once I get the adapter, but I think it's really coming together.

Wow...AWESOME!

The only thing I'm wondering is just how you're going to fit the board, battery and speaker. It doesn't leave much room for sound resonance by the look of it. But also by the look of it you seem to know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Wow...AWESOME!

The only thing I'm wondering is just how you're going to fit the board, battery and speaker. It doesn't leave much room for sound resonance by the look of it. But also by the look of it you seem to know what you're doing.
    Two AA Rechargeable batteries and a speaker and board, or three AAA batteries and speaker and board will fit in that canister...

Also,

Saaawweeeeeetttttt. Make the pics clickable for my desktop!

I love following your incredible builds! Also, where did you happen to find capped aluminum tubing? I am in need of some for many of my saber builds.

Thanks, Psab
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by psab keel View Post
    I love following your incredible builds! Also, where did you happen to find capped aluminum tubing? I am in need of some for many of my saber builds.

Thanks, Psab
    Ah, the tubing wasn't capped. I capped it in the front with that motor mount piece, and the back will be capped by setscrews and my speaker grille.

This evening, I shortened up my end screws, wired a preliminary LED into the crystal, and set my batteries and a temp switch in the battery canister.

Another shot, I love the color contrast between the blue of the light and the gold/yellow of the brass.

All spread out, I may mount it this way. I'll have to build a mount.

Definitely. The case is nice and all, but it's what's inside that counts. ;-D

Almost wanna say we should find a way to make it slide open droid-style for maintenance, maybe modify an umbrella spring...no, that'd go too fast...

And the red of the copper really shines against the brass and blue; it's amazing that you've got hints of all the primary colors and it hasn't gone cartoony.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?