Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

slothfurnace, would you mind sharing some info about and photos of your equipment (lathe, milling machine, etc.)? Is there any CNC involved? Skill and knowledge aside, I'm not sure my own mini-lathe is capable of something like threading the inside of a rod that way.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Incredible work man. Im also seething with jealousy as I had a radiator like design planned for a saber too. You beat me to it Ah well, it is quite enjoyable to watch this develope.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    slothfurnace, would you mind sharing some info about and photos of your equipment (lathe, milling machine, etc.)? Is there any CNC involved? Skill and knowledge aside, I'm not sure my own mini-lathe is capable of something like threading the inside of a rod that way.
    I'll take some shots of my work area tonight. But the only special tool I have is the lathe. Everything else is hand tools, a drill press, sandpaper, a decent tap & die set, etc.

Threading the inside of those tubes and the outside of the conduit is just done with my tap and die set.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Incredible work man. Im also seething with jealousy as I had a radiator like design planned for a saber too. You beat me to it Ah well, it is quite enjoyable to watch this develope.
    Thanks Fender! Today's Tuesday, and Tuesday & Wednesday nights I have all evening to work, so hopefully I'll progress a little further down the line on this. But it's still taking so long I feel I haven't beat anyone to anything yet. I appreciate your comments though.

Well, tonight I thought I'd tackle the speaker chamber, and found some Delrin to make the speaker retainer rings out of. Normally I would have plenty of pics of the "making of," but my camera battery was dying so I only have a few of the "after making"

You see here the temp speaker, and a speaker grille I found out of an old radar detector.

The delrin rings kind of sandwich the speaker and the grille together, and the outer shell of aluminum holds everything snug. I'll eventually put a set screw in the rear ring to keep it all tight.

The smaller diameter lip of the aluminum cap also secures my battery pack inside the battery can.

I might need to shave a little off for length though, I need to make up about a quarter of an inch someplace so it all fits in when collapsed.

very cool .....looks like a awsome job ...can't wait to see the finished product

A terrestrial speaker grille? Kudos on finding one that fits snugly, but it's always kinda pulled me out of it to have a masterfully handmade lightsaber with a speaker grille...but what do I know, I don't even smith...
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
    A terrestrial speaker grille? Kudos on finding one that fits snugly, but it's always kinda pulled me out of it to have a masterfully handmade lightsaber with a speaker grille...but what do I know, I don't even smith...
    Um...so what is he supposed to do? It's black, it doesn't scream "speaker grille!", and, most importantly, the grille won't be visible when the hilt is together, or even when it's in "showing off the insane chassis" mode.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Where did you find the "canister" for the battery/SB? Was that something that you did on your lathe?
    I like the idea of having a compartment for the battery/speaker/SB.
    That is a very nice set up, very pro. Very cool. Can't wait to see the FP.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Um...so what is he supposed to do? It's black, it doesn't scream "speaker grille!", and, most importantly, the grille won't be visible when the hilt is together, or even when it's in "showing off the insane chassis" mode.
    I don't know; I'm not trying to criticize the build in general, just pointing out the one bit. It's slothfurnace though, I'm sure it'll get well buried behind yet more ridiculous awesome.

Also, I know little enough about graflex' that I did not realize it wouldn't be visible ever, so, there I go showing my ignorance again. I've seen too many otherwise awesome builds spoiled by having the hilt end in a really obvious speaker, so I was starting to get disappointed.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noyl Wendor View Post
    Where did you find the "canister" for the battery/SB? Was that something that you did on your lathe?
    I like the idea of having a compartment for the battery/speaker/SB.
    That is a very nice set up, very pro. Very cool. Can't wait to see the FP.
    The canister was made out of some aluminum tubing, and capped with a harddrive motor mount that I machined down to fit.

4 AAA rechargeable batteries and my soundboard barely fit. Such that I had to drill that little hole visible in one of the pics above for the vertical capacitor to poke through.