Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tip shadows

Sunrider - you still haven't told us what type of blade you're using.

1/16 for a thin walled 1" blade maybe ....IDK, I only use thick walled.
    but for thick walled I would say more like 1/8 to 3/16.

That is a thin wall trans white 36in blade & tip.

Haven't you seen my SSR90 setup post.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=10810

I saw the beginning of it but it also helps to have the info fresh for the topic at hand. There's so many builds going on the details are difficult to remember.

Yes ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I second the 1/16 in gap all the way around.
    I'll third that! 1/16th inch less diameter on all of the blade reflectors.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I bought the smaller reflective discs for my thin walled tip for this very reason.

More curiosity...doesn't using a smaller mirror give less luminosity in the middle of the blade?

I'll try using 3/4" mirrors on my next saber's (1" thick-walled) blade, I guess.

the loss of reflection amounts to a small enough... er... amount that while you loose some, its nothing compared to not having one. The reason for this is that you still have quite a bit of mirror for the center, to reflect it back down the length of the blade.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I got a bunch of mirrors to experiment with but have so many things to work on I haven't had a chance.

In my experience reducing mirror size seems to reduce the top brightness to near equal the middle of the blade, and fills the tip. The middle still gets the some improvement from the mirror. I've seen many sabers with full mirrors and the middle blade is not as bright as the tip or base.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I got a bunch of mirrors to experiment with but have so many things to work on I haven't had a chance.

In my experience reducing mirror size seems to reduce the top brightness to near equal the middle of the blade, and fills the tip. The middle still gets the some improvement from the mirror. I've seen many sabers with full mirrors and the middle blade is not as bright as the tip or base.
    QFT!

once again, someone comes along and says it better...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~