Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tip shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    If we can come up with a consensus on what works best I would be happy to adjust the tips.
    Generally i think people modify their tips similar to what either Sundrider or Crystal mentioned, I think using 3/4 mirrors on 1" blades if fully feasible and would look great.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    Generally i think people modify their tips similar to what either Sundrider or Crystal mentioned, I think using 3/4 mirrors on 1" blades if fully feasible and would look great.
    Seconded!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I haven't had chance to experiment further but I think smaller then the 3/4 for a 1" thick walled might be better.

Better yet I think an ideal solution might be a translucent reflector. Like one of those two way mirrors. This way you'll get full reflection and still let light through. It's been mentioned here somewhere before but I've yet to try and find anything.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anti-static bag material works for wat you are suggesting crystal. It is difficult to glue to the tip though...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

What about window tint?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Selecting the material is not a option I can offer. It has to be a material that can be cutout and installed easily. The material on the tips was supposed to be slightly opaque, is it not at all?

Saying 3/4" on 1" blades you might want to specify thick or thin since on a thick walled that would cover the whole piece. Something along the lines of "a 1/16" gap all around" or something like that would be a good way to suggest what you know will work.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

i believe a 1/16" gap would do well..
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I have roughly 1/16 and I don't think it's enough.

I was specific, but I think the results on thick walled 1" with a 3/4" tip was more of an improvement then anything ideal. The mirror is still too big or too opaque.

The mirrors/reflectors are very opaque! Which why not enough light gets through to the tip and you get a dark spot. A translucent mirror would allow more light to the tip with out having to make it smaller. I wouldn't suggesting more options to choose from but maybe another way to improve all together. It seems to me a lot of people are customizing their tips so why not go with the more popular trend that will yield the most satisfactory results.

I'm pretty sure chrome window tint could be cut on a plotter just like any vinyl for sign usage. In theory you could order it as a sheet, have it cut on plotter and then peel and apply. For that matter maybe there's a vinyl made for signage with these properties.

ive used mirror tint in my tips and it works incredibly well, and it is easy to apply with the adhesive backing already on the tint. ill take some comparison pics when i get the chance and post them here

I second the 1/16 in gap all the way around.