Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tip shadows

Default Tip shadows

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Ever since TCSS started using the non-metallic reflective disc, sabers have not shown the "tip shadow"/dark spot phenomenon (point a lit saber to a wall while close to it and you'll know what I'm talking about).

The problem: even with these new non-aluminum mirrors, I'm still getting tip shadows.

Only one of my sabers (a green Lux III) doesn't cast a tip shadow.

Any advice on this? If I'm doing anything wrong, please, tell me.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Bianchi; 06-11-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Well I have this same "problem" but it never bothers me.

I believe that the only way around this is to drill a hole to your reflective disc.

Just curiosity...has anybody ever tried not using reflective discs at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post
    Just curiosity...has anybody ever tried not using reflective discs at all?
    Yup.

If you remove the mirror the blade tip will light up, and cast enough light on the wall to eliminate this shadow effect, but you will lose brightness in the middle of the blade, and trade one bad side effect for another: "light-bulbing" at the tip. You need a mirror or reflective material of some sort to eliminate that effect, so use a smaller mirror to help light the blade tip better and maintain the brightness of the blade. Try removing the mirror on the blade tip, and cutting it down. Then re-attach it and see how it looks.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I wouldn't recommend drilling a hole in the center because then you have the opposite problem. I tried a mirror for 3/4" blades and it's an improvement.

OK! Thanks again for the wisdom, guys.

EDIT:
    to Jay-Gon: were you using any mirrors when you compared the blue Rebel, P4 and Lux III LEDs? The lighting effect you've got with those blades was amazing.
    Last edited by Bianchi; 06-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post
    OK! Thanks again for the wisdom, guys.

EDIT:
    to Jay-Gon: were you using any mirrors when you compared the blue Rebel, P4 and Lux III LEDs? The lighting effect you've got with those blades was amazing.
    You meant the Rebel led test pictures? Yes, those sabers all had mirrors on the tips...similar to what Crystal posted....I took the original mirrors off, and cut them down to a smaller diameter, then put them back on.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If we can come up with a consensus on what works best I would be happy to adjust the tips.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

On this blade (top) I pulled the mirror disk off & cut 1 or 2 mm from around the edge & stuck it back on. It seems to work pretty good like that.

MR Luke looks sorry in this respect on bottom.

Last edited by Sunrider; 06-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.