Thread: RGB LED question

Default RGB LED question

Hello again, fellow crafters.

I have a couple questions (as always lol) for those with experience with RGB LEDs (the 3W type):

1. Any recommended brands?

2. Is it possible to use potentiometers to mix the R/G/B components to obtain a wide scale of colours? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

(the info on this thread will result in a new saber or pike. Pic lovers won't go unrewarded, lol)

brands are led engin , luminus , cree ect. Grab a couple pots & adjust color to your liking. Be quick & careful or the smoke will be let out. Measure pots & replace with correct resistor.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Pay close attention to the specs of the LED before you buy it. Some of them require higher voltages than we normally use. (6 - 18 volts) Try to get one where the voltage for all the colors are around 3 volts like this one. http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/LedE...3paNzKlFDP8%3d (the picture of the LED is not the right picture)

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    brands are led engin , luminus , cree ect. Grab a couple pots & adjust color to your liking.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Be quick & careful or the smoke will be let out. Measure pots & replace with correct resistor.
    By smoke being let out, do you mean overheating?
    So it's not possible to make an adjustable colour saber...it must be fixed with the proper resistors...did I get it right?

EDIT: what kind of potentiometer should be used? 100k? 250k? (I'm really a noob for electronics.)
    And do you guys know any wiring videos for such LEDs?
    Last edited by Bianchi; 06-02-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Adjustable sabers are possible.

If you want a true color change with potentiometers, you have to get at least 3 of them.

Then you have to try the RGB out with some resistors to get to know how much is a good resistance for the colors you want, and then buy the right potentiometer.

If you want a single switch color change, you could go with a DIP switch.
    I have absolutely no idea how to wire them.