Thread: Usefull Parts scavenged from Hard Drives and CDROM Drives

Default Usefull Parts scavenged from Hard Drives and CDROM Drives

Slothfurnace gave me the idea to take apart the many, many hard drives and optical drives I have from my computer business that are no longer working or useful so here is what I got.

Overview

This is really the good stuff in the lot, all the big circular things on the left can be unscrewed and yield several metal rings as can be seen in the left of the next photo. They spin freely as well so you could make a cool spinning pommel or blade plug, etc. Also the wire motor things work great for crystal chambers.

Some random lasers and prongy things, in the top right are super strong magnets. As strong as rare earth mags for sure.

I asked my wife if i could get a $5,000 lathe and she said "...no, but thanks for asking." : D

Arc Reactors anyone?

Anyway, good find!
    Cant wait to see you put 'em to use

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

That was an awesome idea ! And I have 2 broken hard drives...I am going to put those to use for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I´ve got a bunch of those things (being a part of the IT crowd )... They make up for awesome greeblies if you know how to use them. I usually end up scavenging parts most of the time instead of actually building sabers, though

The big magnets are great but there are also nice small magnets in those optical heads on both sides of the main lens.

You can get some interesting parts out of old power sources also, if you are willing to do a little unsoldering.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci