Thread: Led upgrade question

Default Led upgrade question

Ok I searched for about 3 hours last night and just got more confused as I did so I'll just post my question here. I am upgrading from a lux 3 (blue) to a less seen lux 3 red orange. My curent set up is using a MR FX board running off of 4.5v the specs for the blue is 3.9FV @1a but the spec for the red/orange is 2.95fv@1.4a so what I'm trying to find out is can I run the red/orange off the fx board? Just a simple swap? Can the led Handel the higher voltage? Some of the post I saw said they could some said no otheres didn't specify.

Any advise from some of the more seasoned vets? On a side not I was thinking of running 2 700ma buckpucks in between the board and the led to get the 1400ma I need if this won't work either pls some one stop me now!

Thx

The red-orange will easily handle the extra voltage. I have that sort of setup right next to me.

Though it will not be as bright as if you would drive it with 2 700 mA pucks.

I don't think you can use buckpucks with MR/Hfx board due to their low LED output voltage. The pucks need at least 5 and MRFX boards put out about 3 volts. (Just multimeter'ed)

Rafalema u are a lifesaver! That's the info I was looking for.

Always happy to help.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you are looking for a red LED that will work great with the MR/Hasbro FX board try using a P4 Red. I have had great results with those.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Sith Lord

That MR board puts out ~1A which is fine for your R-O. It will not be maximally driven, but I doubt that you will notice a difference (to the naked eye) since the R-O's are VERY bright. You could use the pucks if your battery solution were 6V, but like I said, there is really no need.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thx everyone for the great feedback. I think I'm going to just keep my curent setup(running just the fx board to drive the led) and swap the blue for the R/O which is what I was hopeing I could do.

Banned Sith Lord

posts pics when you is done kk?