Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED/EL blade, could it be done?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

TFN repost:

Okay, I still don't think this would look too hot. They are two different ideas of lighting, one in the blade and one in the hilt...

BUT I have an idea that will save you a butt load of work. [] A luxeon is not the greatest for this application. It will add heatsinking and the optics. The EL would be in the way also.

Idea: make a mount that uses the mono jack in the middle and a ring of smaller LED's (say 5mm) around it. This eliminates the optics, heatsinking, and the EL "being in the way". It also would overcome the trouble of the voltage of a 9V being bad for a Lux.

So basically make a dual-tube setup of inner white EL and then an outer tube (maybe a film diffuser?) lighted by the ring of small colored LEDs. Test it and get pictures. []

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

I have tried it. I used a board from a Hasbro Anakin color changer. I replaced the red leds with blue ones and wired them all up on the same circuit. So I ended up with 8 blue leds disposed in in circle, almost 1.5" in diameter. Then I installed a 3/4" aqua EL polycarb blade in the center. The leds were floding the circumference of the tube nicely, but only at the base. So I put the whole thing in another tube, 1.5 in diameter with a polypropylene difusser. It looked decent, but not worth the trouble. The leds were not strong like a Lux and not focussed enough to reach the tip of the blade well. Still, they overpowered the EL at the base and it (the EL) only showed at the tip. So the result looked very much like a Lux blade with a Corbin difusser, way oversized but with a bit of color variation - darker blue at the base and lighter at the tip. I never built a hilt for it because after I looked at all the parts I'd have to stuff inside I realized I'd end up with a staff the size of a Maul. Also, the blade was too thick and heavy. I have since taken the contraption appart and I am smacking my head for not taking pictures when I had it. I suppose it was the dissapointment at the time. Not trying to discourage anyone from trying it, just imparting my experience.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

http://www.illumisabers.com

Gelu thanks for the input, all ideas are welcome.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Guys thank ya'll for the input. This is awsome that we can bang this around and see what we come up with. I have been house busy again today (no big suprise) but am hoping to get a little time tomorrow to play around with a few of these suggestions and an idea or two of my own. Man I am wishin I was already in the new to us house so I would have my workbench[]

<center></center>

Ok if u use a el wire that is shorter ,maybe 1 inch shorter than the tube, and then u put a plain led at the tip it might look better. Also u could have a full sive el wire and then put ring led at the top that might also work.[B)]

Hey! welcome and thanks for chiming in on this.[]

I have not had all the eime I have wanted yet to play with this much but so far this is what I have come up with.

A 3w or bigger is overkill. At the base it just drowns out anything, in the middle you get a nice mix but I have not used the white EL yet 'cause I don't have any right now. I am going to try some 1w LED's maybe in blue and red and see if there can be a balance.

The ring idea is REALLY good. I have been thinking of ravaging my sons color change Hasbro and try something with that ala Gelu and xwing.

I have to admit that it is one of those things that I want to do for me so it is not a priority. House work, kids, sabers for others first[]

Quote Originally Posted by Aderted****der7
    Stupid SPAM
    regards, Aderted****der7
    Great, now they're digging up old topics to contaminate...
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Ryma Mara

Ok I skipted a page and an 1/8th but I seen these a while back and thought I wander why we havent made use of them?

http://www.luxeon.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=4

You can fit on inside the other one, granted there only 1watt but theres many of them. and this would prolly solve the problem of the current setup about what to do with the mono jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryma Mara
    I wander why we havent made use of them?
    Possibly because 81 mm is about 3 inches. Now I suppose if you don't mind having a hilt that wide it's no problem, but I think I'll pass on these for now.

Ryma Mara

good lord!

Ok I dident see that one. jebus