Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED/EL blade, could it be done?

Default LED/EL blade, could it be done?

I was talking with a buddy of mine and showing off what I have been doing lately and when I was going over the pro's and cons of each type and why I like LED but use EL for the kids blah,blah... He just looks at me and says if one is brighter but the other is even all the way up why not do both?
    So I got to wondering, has this been tried? I would think with a 9 volt EL setup and a 3W running off of a resistor and Battery pack room would be OK or am I just smoking crack?

I am going to run this over on the LED force.net board too

<center></center>

I think it would work if you did not want sound.

James take at look at the sound set up I came up with for el sabers this would also work for a dual el/led setup. The problem would be that the el would be over powered by the led but the el might help fill in the color but it is a lot to fit inside of a blade and still make it work. But hey people thought I was nutz using 5mm leds to build sabers so who knows[]

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

This has been a nag on me since he said it. The very first thing I invisioned was a white EL with pick your color LED and it may just turn out alright. I could see where there would be some work on the blade with getting current to the EL and then have a lens that would focus as much light as possible around the center section.
    EDIT- Do-Clo I got ya. It would work well for like a lime/green combo and yeah that setup you have would do nicely. cool[]
    I thought the color changing Anakin Hasbro was low powered LEDs but they still sell quickly, and your LED's look nicer.
    <center></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

At the same time? I don't think it'd work well. You'd have to have a dual tube to have EL in the center. The LED wouldn't light up the outside too well. Corbin tried something like this with fiberoptics and it didn't work well.

It's been talked about at TFN also.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

I agree that with the optics that we are using right now it would not work to well, I have been thinking along some other optics and ways to maximize the LED to the outside section of the tube. I was looking through some of my old camera stuff and then I got to thinking, now I'm nothing but trouble[]

Fiberoptics are a pain to work with for anything other then communications.

<center></center>

James it likes like Xwing has thrown down a challenge by saying he don't think it will work so it looks like game on. I will have to put some thought on the matter. This looks like something that may be fun.[]

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

James it likes like Xwing has thrown down a challenge by saying he don't think it will work so it looks like game on. I will have to put some thought on the matter. This looks like something that may be fun.[]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fine take it as a challenge then. It's just with EL in place of the 3M fiber Corbin used it's not all that different and he didn't have much luck.

I didn't say it couldn't be done... I just don't think it will look good.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

i betcha if anyone can pull it off tho, it'll be do-clo.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Don't count James out he is a tech also, but if both of us throw ideas around we might just pull it off

<center></center>