Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best depth for blade retention screw?

Default Best depth for blade retention screw?

I'm in the process of building an MHS saber but I'm a little confused as to where the retention screw hole should go. I like blade holder style 17, which has about 1 inch of complete enclosure before the curve starts. I was wondering how deep the blade needs to be so that it will be sturdy when dueling. For the moment I have an ultrasaber standard issue and the blade is a good 1.5 inches into the hilt, which holds very well when doing heavy dueling.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You'd need to put the blade retention screw on the shortest part of that blade holder.

I don't think that's the best choice for a dueling saber, more for a show saber. I'd pick a different one, if you're planning to duel with it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Is it possible for the blade to go into a choke a little bit? Here is the saber I built on the MHS builder.

No. There is a little lip upon which the blade sits on, and it also keeps the optics (lens and LED) in place. It goes like this:

blade
    lip
    lens assembly
    LED
    Heatsink
    Choke in your case

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Even if there wasnt a lip for the blade to sit on, you couldnt drill into the choke without drilling into the threads.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The blade retention screw is actually in the threads of that blade holder where you have it. It would do absolutely nothing to keep the blade in.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

so if this blade holder wouldnt hold it in well for dueling, which ones are more sturdy?

The blade retention screw is actually in the threads of that blade holder where you have it. It would do absolutely nothing to keep the blade in.
    No it's not in the threads but it might have to go just alittle higher depending on where the lip on the inside is...

But I don't know where the lip is inside so you will have to place the retention screw above that so it bites into the blade. I'm sure this is all something Tim took into account, and I'm sure the lip is pretty low you can prolly put your screw there... alittle higher
    Personally I'd put the screw on the short side pushing the blade against the long side... Seems better in my head. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jase Kala Maris; 05-31-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Embracing Immense Passion You Will Find the Peace You Seek.Grey Jedi Master Jase Kala Maris

Quote Originally Posted by Jase Kala Maris View Post

No it's not. But I don't know where the lip is inside so you will have to place the retention screw above that so it bites into the blade. I'm sure this is all something Tim took into account, and I'm sure the lip is pretty low you can prolly put your screw there...

Personally I'd put the screw on the short side pushing the blade against the long side... Seems better in my head. But that's just my opinion.
    thats exactly what i was thinking, pushing it against the longer side so it would stay in more. I just dont want it moving around lol

I hope this makes sense. Make sure you get the retention screw as close to the end (top) of the emitter as you can get. I have a blade holder with it in the middle of the holder but the blade (occasionally) is able to wiggle free. The higher up it is placed, the harder the end that is inserted into the holder is going to hit the inside of the holder causing more force to wedge the blade into place. Whew .
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~