Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grip?

Default Grip?

Just wondering what I should use for a flat grip. I don't want the T-tracks and I need something to put under my shroud. I heard somewhere to use bicycle handlebar tape. Just wondering if anyone has some other ideas, thanks

Tennis racket tape
    Hockey stick tape
    Carbon fiber tape/material
    Skateboard grip material
    Stingray skin
    Leathers
    Textured fabrics
    Furs

Tennis racket tape ; sounds tricky
    Hockey stick tape ; could work
    Carbon fiber tape/material ; one tough grip
    Skateboard grip material ; prolly not
    Stingray skin ; wtf?
    Leathers ; go natural
    Textured fabrics ; textured rubber could be good
    Furs ; ? You guys on Hoth got hide from those yetis?

Stingray skin may sound odd but it is what is used for grip on samurai swords...it has a 'pebbly' texture that gives good traction in the hand for a secure grip and is quite comfortable...you can usually find some swordsmith or supplier selling it on evilbay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Skateboard grip material ; prolly not
    Skateboard grip tape is not as daft as it sounds either, I've used it before and it works really well. Its really ruff to begin with but after handling it for a few hours its fine.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=5830

Being a hockey player myself, using stick tape may not be a really good idea. I know it sounds as if the tape is supposed to last for a long time, but it really depends on how much you'd spin/duel. If it was novastar style usage then it would probably start falling off after a month or so, perhaps less.

Stingray skin sounds cool... its also a cool saber name, too.

EDIT: Did nobody think of this?
    Last edited by Skottsaber; 05-28-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thanks for all the great ideas. I wound up picking up some tennis racket tape for like 2 bucks at wally world. It works nice and is easy to wrap the hilt in and secure. My only issue with it is that it has the brand slightly engraved in a part of the grip but its not to bad. The grip is nice and its easy to replace if it gets to slick

You could try adhesive-backed black neoprene rubber. You can get it in different thicknesses as well as textured or untextured. You just cut it to the shape you want using scissors (or an Exacto knife or utility knife), peel off the backing and stick it to the hilt. I buy mine online from McMaster-Carr.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I ordered 6' of "exercise equipment" grip tubing when I started working on a friends saber.

It is neoprene style rubber. The online exercise equipment store had several different diameters.

Think "the foamy grips on treadmill handles", but smooth exterior.

not adhesive backed, but if you use the right diameter, it isn't going anywhere (not after it took you half an hour to tug, pull, yell, complain and finally work it onto the hilt)

Just to clarify, what I referred to in my previous post is not foam in any way. It's good ole black rubber. Though I'm sure McMaster-Carr sells foam rubber as well.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."