Username: Crystal Chambers

__________________________________________________ ____________________

WINNERS
    MHS contest
    1st place: Chaos with Isambard
    2nd place: Crystal Chambers with Mantis

Custom contest
    1st place: Rhyen Skytracker with Redemptor
    2nd place: Timerender with Captain Nemo Brand Lightning-Saber, Model T2N 1857

PRIZES
    First place: $200 credit to TCSS
    Second place: $50 credit to TCSS

Many thanks to Tim for these very generous prizes!
    QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FOR THE BUILDER?

You all are welcome to post compliments to the builders in this thread. Asking questions of them is fine as well. I'll start.

There were quite a few sabers here that really impressed me. Everyone strove to do their best in the contest. A lot of newer guys participated as well which was great. A few that I'd like to point out.

All of my comments are honest. There is constructive criticism in here, guys. Don't read if you can't take some advice. I don't want people getting hurt about these comments, as they are meant to make your builds better in the future. That's what the whole contest was about, after all: honing your skills.

Darth Biff - This was your first build I believe. It turned out pretty good. Those straight lines on the dremel are pretty tough to do. Good work

Jamoup - I haven't seen a lot of builds by you and this one was pretty cool. I think that the shrouds were well matched to the flow of the saber. The sequenced LEDs with the AV switch at top turned out great. How did you affix the bunny ears?

Darth Midian - The PVC build master strikes again! Your PVC hilts are definitely the best around. It's always hard to tell if they really are PVC or not. This one is no different. The triple layering around the emitter is really cool. It adds an entire new dimension of depth to the design.

DJ - Your build are steadily getting better. This hilt is my favorite of yours so far. You definitely like that box4+blinkies on either side setup. It looks good on this hilt. Those grip bars are cool as well. My critique would be to use allen head screws, not phillips, to hold on cosmetic pieces like the grips. It looks snazzier.

Treadingwolf - Great saber man! The weathering on it is very good - my favorite two pieces are the brass overlay and the charring near the emitter. I always like to think that there's some burning going on at the emitter of a saber, and you captured that well. The wood grip was done very well. How is it attached?

Rhyen - This saber really demonstrated some serious machining-fu. That emitter had to take forever and a day to machine. How comfortable is it to hold? Not a lot to say, you know what you are doing in your builds. Good, clean wiring. Where is the charge port?

Mongo - This saber demonstrates how much you can do with 'found' parts. I see hardware stuff, MHS stuff, sinktubes, and even a graflex top. It takes some skill to incorporate that all into one saber. I like how there's that distinct 'backbone' to the saber with the accent LEDs leading up to the crystal chamber and then the bunny ears. It looks pretty cool. My only suggestion is to not have such a long saber.

Chaos - WOW! This is one of my all time favorite builds. Everything turned out very well on it. This is the first saber with a leather grip that I have liked. Your Goodman-styled chassis came out really well. How on earth did you do that pommel? Is it a watch face or something? Same with the blade plug...I have no idea how you made that. Your build, while not large in number, are always great. I still remember that clawed saber you made years ago.

Ryan - Excellent saber! I haven't seen too many hilts from you. This is one of only a handful of good looking curved sabers. It looks really comfortable to hold. It had to take some SERIOUS dremel-fu to get all those windows in the sinktube even. The lower grip section looks great as well. Well done!

Sidd - It's too bad that you already took this saber apart, I like it a lot. It has really clean, smooth lines to it. Great use of that Mace-esq blade holder. The only thing I'd change is adding a bit of black on the lower half of the hilt to help balance it out a bit.

Cannibal - This was the only saber I had to ask the question "is this MHS or custom?" I can't determine a single MHS part on the thing even now, except for a 7" extension or something like that. I feel like the saber needs something to make it 'pop' a bit more. Maybe switch buttons or something. I just feel like it is missing a piece or two.

Xusia - Cool saber man. I like that emitter a lot. Which style did it start as? The hilt looks uber comfy to hold, and that AOF Customs control box works great on it. I still need to use the one that I have. Good usage of a CF IMO.

Timerender - This saber is a really cool one. It really goes back to the original trilogy with that nameplate on it (ala MPP and Graflex stamps) and then the little mini-bunny ears. The pommel is really cool looking as well. How did you make that? What are those patterned grips made from as well? I'd like to see more detail on them, they're awesome.

Aradian Valentine - This one is your first build I believe. It's good for a first attempt. I think that it is a bit 'top heavy'. A flared pommel would help balance it out a bit more. I do like how that Mara grip section looks up top though, I may try that eventually as well.

Darth Quin - This saber looks like it would be a great one to duel with. Very clean lines, nothing obtrusive, and good grip points. A jedi would definitely carry a saber like this. Great work! The only suggestion I have is to weather the saber evenly. The sinktube overlay is weathered nicely, but then the rest of the saber is totally pristine. You gotta beat up those MHS pieces - I know how much it hurts to do it *cringe*

Roy's Blues - I don't really have much to say here. You're a master builder for sure. I like the color you chose for the hilt, it goes away from the standard black and silver mold. The hilt definitely deserves a CF. How were you able to mount two AV switches perpendicular like that?

Obi Dar - I know you said that this one was sort of a rush job and you aren't totally happy with it. I think that it still turned out pretty good though. Those brass bars on the blade holder had to have been a bear to cut evenly like that. I don't have the patience for that kind of work. The framing of the switch+LEDs with the shroud is done very well. The thin little border you leave all around really makes it pop.

Borax - You never fail to disappoint with your hilts. This is what...your third build, and you're taking on the toughest challenge known to a saber - a curved hilt. I like how the blade holder looks with those pointed shroud pieces all coming together. I'd like to see more info on that center black section. It looks like it was really tough to make. Overall, it's not my favorite saber of yours, but it is still REALLY cool looking.

Crystal Chambers - This saber really surprised me. It's you first big build like this and you really pulled it off! That paint job is sick, how did you do it? There are 3 different colors that all transition between each other on that shroud. The shroud was cut really well as well. Clean, even lines. All around great work!
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Here are all the entries in one consecutive list.
    TCSS SABERBUILDING CONTEST
    Entrant #1
    Saber name: Ars Longa
    Specs:
    US 2.5
    LUX III - Green (run in overdrive mode) w/QD
    Premium speaker
    Momentary guarded switch w/QD
    Hand-cut (dremelled) de-chromed brass sink tube shroud
    Kobold D-Ring belt clip (modified)
    Enamel paint & powder coated accents

Entrant #2
    Saber Name: The Ricker
    Specs:
    MR Windu Sound
    7.4V Rechargeable battery pack
    LedEngine RGBA- set to purple
    Quick connect on LED
    Modified TCSS heatsink
    Modified TCSS Lux III optics holder
    6 MHS parts, Powder coating by Tim
    3 3mm red accent LED's - holes in ribbed piece by Tim
    Latching illuminated AV switch- hole drilled by Tim
    5v regulator
    Buckpuck and resistors for LED's
    Recharge Port/Killswitch
    Pastor Jedi V2 lever
    TFX Studios Obi EpIII circuit board
    Custom sinktube overlays
    Custom "graflex look" bunny ears

Entrant #3
    Saber Name: Helios
    Specs:
    PVC hilt
    1" thick walled blabe, sanbed
    AV orange momentary switch
    P4 white LED w/ Lee filter #19, fire
    economy Dukoo board
    premium TCSS speaker
    4 AAA Nimh batteries

Entrant #4
    Saber Name: The Odysseus
    Specs:
    US 2.5/PCB/battery pack single case modual
    Built in recharge system
    7.4 volt li ion battery solution
    TCSS speaker
    7 HO mako Accent LEDs: 5 blue, 2 green. (one of the blues is in the pommel)
    green lighted ring AV switch
    Uber Lux 5 blue
    MHS Based body with heavy machine modification
    custom machined brass grips
    custom machined brass choke rods
    Machine engraving on the grips of the saber name and business (not shown)
    low profile LED holders
    brass thumb screw
    milled TCSS battery/speaker holder for wire clearance to the pommel
    and everything polished to a mirror shine.

Entrant #5
    Saber Name: Toh'ni'lih
    Specs:
    SaberSound V1.0
    LuxIII Blue
    1000ma puck
    7.2 li-ion pack
    recharge port
    momentary tactile switch
    Premium speaker

Entrant #6
    Saber name: Redemptor
    Specs:
    US 2.5
    4 AAA 1000 mAh NiMH custom battery pack
    Cree XR-E Blue
    Premium speaker
    Guarded Red Momentary switch
    Faux Crystal Chamber with custom accent LED mount and blue 5 mm LED
    One piece grip with simulated T-Grips
    Threaded pommel and emitter

Entrant #7
    Saber name: X2
    Specs:
    7"extension MHS
    num8 blade holder
    aluminum press plunger for center choke
    aluminum press pulnger sleeve for back part of saber
    faucet shroud from Home Depo for pommell
    brass sinktubes,vented for removable shroud and pommell spacer
    2004 Luke FX graflex style, custom cut emitter shroud
    LedEngin 5w running @1500ma
    HD V.3 SD soundcard
    1w premium speaker in center of saber ,choke mounted
    8 accent leds-2 leds color changing with crystals- 5 on shroud pulsing with crystal chamber-1 constant for power on
    Quartz crystal chamber
    Quartz crystal pommell
    7.2 v NiMh "U" shaped battery pack
    recharge port
    UltraEdge blade
    DPST slide switch w/brass cover
    micro aux button

Entrant #8
    Saber name: Isambard
    Specs:
    Anakin MR FX Board
    Green Seoul P4 LED
    Premium speaker
    Guarded Latching switch
    4 AAA batteries
    Custom chassis with crystal chamber
    Brass and aluminium blade holder (made by eBay seller 14485194)
    Double male with slots (modified by Tim for the blade holder to fit in)
    MHS choke style 1 short (with hole for the guarded switch drilled by Tim)
    Two Trim Ring 3
    7" Double female threaded connector
    Polished brass sink tube
    MPS Pommel style 4
    Working Clockwork pommel insert
    Brass covertec button
    Leather grip
    Custom brass emitter plug

Entrant #9
    Saber name: Sinchant
    Specs:
    MR DV esb sound
    Prolight RGB
    8 way switch for future "true RGB"

Entrant #10
    Saber name: Mjöllnir
    Specs:
    Seoul P4 Blue with 3.3ohm 5watt resistor
    Latching Anti Vandal switch
    4 AAA Battery pack

Entrant #11
    Saber name: Marathon
    Specs:
    TCSS Luxeon 3W Driver V2
    Hasbro 2010 Obi-Wan Electronic Soundboard (brown color)
    20 second recordable greeting card soundboard (blue color)
    Three 5mm accent LEDs (hooked up to the soundboard LED output)
    Lux III Cyan Bin1
    Premium speaker
    Momentary switch
    Master power DPDT sliding latching switch
    2 Trustfires

Entrant #12
    Saber name: Akhilesh
    Specs:
    CFv4.1
    LED Engin RGBA: Red and Green wired for Amber
    Blue FoC
    10° Lens
    Premium speaker
    Nickel Plated AV momentary switch
    Radio Shack momentary switch
    4-18650 Li-Ion batteries wired in series/parallel
    for 7.4Volts 5200mAh
    Recharge port
    Brass kill key
    Rumble motor
    Recessed Pommel insert #7
    Modified by TCSS:
    MHS Bladeholder #6
    Solar Flat Black PC
    MHS Hilt #2
    Solar Flat Black PC
    MHS Sleeve #1
    Custom Drilled & Tapped
    MHS Pommel #3v1
    Solar Flat Black PC
    Control Box by: Arm On Fire Custom Sabers
    TCSS Thin walled Transparent White Polycarbonate blade
    with Pointed Tip
    Covertec Clip
    Lighted pommel

Entrant #13
    Saber name: Captain Nemo Brand Lightning-Saber, Model T2N 1857
    Specs:
    Makoto style green led blade
    4.8v rechargeable pack

Entrant #14
    Saber Name: Yavin Sapphire
    Specs:
    Makotosai SuperOne Sound Board and LED strip Blade
    Latching Switch
    Accent Lights

Entrant #15
    Saber name: Knights Slayer
    Specs:
    US 2.5
    LED Lux III Royal Blue
    Premium speaker
    Reverse Sound
    Lighted Chamber Blue 5mm
    DPDT Momentary red illuminated switch

Entrant #16
    Saber name: Cuprum
    Specs:
    CFV 4.31
    LED Lux V blue Bin 4
    2x AV switches, 1 blue ring illuminated, idle LED and main power. 1Gold Plated Momentary Switch
    Premium speaker
    2x 14600 li-ion power supply
    In-hilt recharge with custom copper kill key
    Real quartz crystal in chamber
    4 HB 5 mm accent leds: 1 cyan and 1 blue in pommel. 1 blue (always on) & 1 cyan in crystal chamber
    Trans White PolyC 36" blade with pointed tip
    Emitter by Arm on Fire.
    Soundfonts
    SoulReaver ~ Shadeslinger
    Zen ~ Novastar
    Starkiller ~ Novastar
    Episode V remastered ~ Novastar
    Resblade ~ Novastar
    Rainsizzle ~ Novastar

Entrant #17
    Saber name:"Experienced"
    Specs:
    -18500 Li-Ion battery
    -FX Yoda sound card
    -Lux III Bin2 Cyan
    -Bin2 cyan 5mm accent LED
    -circuit card with four blinky LEDs salvaged from a toy
    -latching guarded switch
    -charge port
    -TCSS speaker
    -custom pommel insert
    -covertec knob
    -brass sink tube & flat bar
    -black enamel paint

Entrant #18
    saber name : Cutlass Supreme
    Specs:
    Ultrasound 2.5
    P4 white/purple tcss filter
    custom 7.2v rechargeable AAA battery pack
    Tactile momentary switch
    premium speaker
    re-charge port/custom kill plug

Entrant #19
    Saber name: Mantis
    Specs:
    MR Mace
    Lux III Cyan
    3.7 Li-ion with recharge port
    Premium speaker
    Latching switch

Last edited by Lord Maul; 05-26-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Congrats to the winners. I am not in the least surprised that Chaos won. His work is always upper echelon and he is an OG. Crystal Chambers I have to single you out and say that of all of hte sabers presented, I liked yours best. Simple, elegant and well done. To the rest of you I must say that I was personally excited to see the results here. Everyone did a wonderful job. Borax..that is seriously good stuff. Rhyen, great work man. Timerender another OG..wow! DJ, nice progress (I knew that was yours ) I feel like if i don't say something to everyone that you will feel like I didn't like your work..but I did. EVERY person who entered should be proud of their effort and satisfied in the results.

Once again, GOOD JOB!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Red face

Congrats to the winners -

The saber that I submitted was actually to test more the ability to run two soundboards together and have them work - the Hasbro 2010 Electronic Lightsaber board and a 20 second recordable greeting card board. The Hasbro is being used to power the three accent LEDs, while the TCSS driver is being used to power the main blade. BTW, the 20 second clip I had on it was of the Marathon Durandal theme, which could be activated by a second momentary switch on the opposite side of the saber.

Unfortunately, this is something that can really only be conveyed through a video.

As for making it pop more, yes I absolutely agree. There were a few things about this build - it was based on a render that Kastor originally posted a LONG time ago. I wanted to see if it could be made using MHS parts. Most of the body work actually went into making the shroud. Unfortunately, because of some problems I had powdercoating it, it came out kinda looking just bleh. And then somewhere along the line, the recording got wiped somehow. And I messed up a little bit on the proportions... anyway, it was a useful build cause it helps to verify a few things that I want to do. This *next* saber will be more like the one that I probably should have built for the contest (if the timing had been better), but I think perhaps it'll translate better once you see it. Anyway that's all I'll say for now.

Again, great builds everyone - We should do this more often (*hint hint*)
    -C
    LOCKHEED

Congrats to the winners and everyone else, as well. There's so much great stuff here. Lord Maul's comments pretty much say it all.

In the MHS category, there are so many great sabers, and the competition would have been really stiff if the gods had not chosen Chaos to be their vessel for this one. That is just...wow. It's almost unfair.

I had a really hard time choosing in the Custom category between Sinchant, Captain Nemo Brand Lightning-Saber, Model T2N 1857, and Cutlass Supreme. Ryan, maybe I'm not being fair, but looking at the details, it seems like you put everything into making that cosmetically beautiful, wholly unique hilt, and then just sort of winged the "guts." I also wished you had buffed the brass to a mirror finish, to make it look like a saber that a very vain and proud Sith lord would carry. Borax, I love the wooden grip with the inlay, I love the emitter...but I hate the pommel. It looks like an emitter. The balance is odd. So I gave the nod to TimeRender's steampunk (?) saber. (I'm a sucker for Captain Nemo, and can easily imagine him wielding such a weapon.) Am I right in thinking it has no sound?

Anyway, I hope all the entrants will post more photos, videos, and details in the Gallery.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Congratulations to everyone involved!!

I saw some amazing sabers, and I thank you for that.

I can't believe I actually won, so thanks to everyone that voted for my saber. I can honestly say I didn't enter to win but it does feel good to win something, which for me doesn't happen a lot.

As some of you know I don't have a lot of cash so this saber took a while to put together, a part here and a part there. But it finaly came together and I was really happy how it turned out so I entered it just to see if people liked it. And you did.

This was my first chassis and first light up crystal and it just goes to show you don't need alot of fancy tools to make a excellent saber, the only power tools I have are a hand drill and dremel.

I wanted to make a steampunk/Victorian sytle saber for a while. I'm really pleased how it looks.

To answer your questions maul, the pommel insert is from a wrist watch I got on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-STAINLESS-...#ht_2803wt_913

I just took it apart and glued it in to the pommel. The good thing about it is its self winding. I just shake the saber for a minute and it winds its self up.

Heres a close up:

As for the emitter plug, its done the same way as the other I've made but instead of aluminium I used brass. I then just drilled holes for three 5/32 pipe brass nipples, these are used for live steam models, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_514wt_1167

I then just glued them in.

I do plan on upgrading the sound board at some point and maybe replacing the guarded switch with a gold anti-vandal. But I'll have to get hold of a better sound board first.

Again thanks for voting for my saber and congrates to everyone that entered, there are some great sabers here.

Edit:

I forgot to add, and be honest, who did you think had built this saber?
    Last edited by chaos; 05-26-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Wow, I can't believe I won. There were some awesome sabers and I can tell huge progress in everyones building skills.

Chaos- That is one awesome saber. I can tell you really spent a lot of time and thought building that one.

DJ- It was easy to tell which one was yours and I really like the design. My only problem, and this is just a personal preference, is the accent LEDs were too bright. They took away from the main LED. I always tone mine down a bit so they just add accent and not try to out shine the main LED. But that is just my personal preference. Your skills have increased dramatically over the last year.

Crystal Chambers- Yours was one of my favorites too. I love the paint job and the overlays.

Timerender- You don't know how close I came to voting for yours. I love the old rustic look and all the detailing you put into it.

Roy's Blues- Awesome MHS saber. I love the design.

Sidd - I really liked that saber too. I wish you hadn't taken it apart

To everyone else. ALL of the sabers were awesome and I would have been proud to own ANY of them. Great jobs people. Keep up the awesome work.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    I forgot to add, and be honest, who did you think had built this saber?
    I was going to go with Acerocket as I knew some of the other people capable of this kind of work weren't entering, and I didn't realise until now you are that good. I stand corrected.

This is outstanding in every way, very very well done.

Some have said what's so great but you won which speaks for itself and the saber carves it's own name.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Wow, I can't believe I won. There were some awesome sabers and I can tell huge progress in everyones building skills.

Chaos- That is one awesome saber. I can tell you really spent a lot of time and thought building that one.

DJ- It was easy to tell which one was yours and I really like the design. My only problem, and this is just a personal preference, is the accent LEDs were too bright. They took away from the main LED. I always tone mine down a bit so they just add accent and not try to out shine the main LED. But that is just my personal preference. Your skills have increased dramatically over the last year.

Crystal Chambers- Yours was one of my favorites too. I love the paint job and the overlays.
    I'm not going to quote on the others as I don't have too much to say on them.

Rhyen: you're sabers are great and it's very moddest of you to say you didn't expect to win. Honestly it wasn't my fave one of yours but the machining was excellent as usual.

Chaos: I've already stated what I thought of this saber. No more needs to said.

DJ: Everyone knew this was yours it had DJ stamped all over it. And that in itself is my only critisism. It looked too much like moonbeam to me. I would try varying your designs a touch and maybe think of some less obvious design quirks to mark you sabers with. Otherwise great effort.

CC: Talking of design, brilliant saber man. Like chaos, not over cooked and well finished, you really only got pipped by the extras that chaos put into his saber. It was that close, even if it didn't seem it.

PS i would really like that overlay pattern CC!!!

All the other sabers were great, big round of applause to you all.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"