Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLI Mounting Solution

Default PLI Mounting Solution

So the PLI's here in the store are fairly new, so I don't expect too many of us have used them. I am interested in possibly using them in a build coming up but need to see what mounting solutions are out there. I know Tim is planning something specifically for them, but until then I am looking for an easy mounting solution.

Has anyone out there successfully mounted one of these, used an existing activation box perhaps?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

HAHAHAHA nice... that is ONE option I suppose.....

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I have used one. It was mounted in a delrin chassis and just sat in a slot.

One thing that I bet you could do with some skill and luck is use screws to hold it in. You can take out the rubber grommets on the PCB and maybe run a tap through the holes. If you thread it then you can use screws on the outside of the hilt to mount it.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That duct tape suggestion was a little mean.

But I also thought it was funny, especially since I'm watching Mythbusters and an repeat of "Duct Tape Hour 2".
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I took it as a good natured joke, no harm no foul.

As Maul stated.. holes.. but you could also moun on the inside of the hilt that way as well.. if you cut/mill out a tiny window to display the leds through..

also the 616 control boxes fits these PLI's fairly good.. however I have only found a HANDFUL (at best) of items that can be used as a decent cover though.

if you shave/cut off the lever the left over 'hole shape' fits asub-mini slider switch from radio shack.. other side can be drilled and a momentary mounted..

there is NO ROOM in there.. so files and persicion cuts are needed

here is an old proof of conecpt mock-up I did a while back:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=PLI*

Council Member
    Sith Lord

XL, my idea was for an in-hilt mounting solution. You could probably tap the PCB and then have screws on the outside of the hilt holding it on through the inside. The slot is easy to do with a dremel and patience.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

oops..must have mis-read what you typed.. I read it as mounting on the outside.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    XL, my idea was for an in-hilt mounting solution. You could probably tap the PCB and then have screws on the outside of the hilt holding it on through the inside. The slot is easy to do with a dremel and patience.
    So you would just screw them into the pcb with the screw heads on the outside... i get it..