Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Your FX: Hows it handle?

Default Using Your FX: Hows it handle?

With all the recent discussion on lightsaber usage etc. I was wondering something. I am considering getting a Maul conversion from Ultra(when he gets back to answering his mail, I know hes busy) and was wondering what your thoughts are on its handling. How big is the hilt in comparison to others girth wise? Do the buttons irratate you? Anybody with martial arts experience handle one?

X-Wing just a thought but you and Tim might consider a new forum or maybe a sticky topic for us to rank how the sabers hold up to actual use and what we prefer when its comes to handling and dueling.

Just a thought...

Brian

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Hitogiri

I am considering getting a Maul conversion from Ultra...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Doesn't Tim do DM conversions too?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Hitogiri

xwing, just a thought but you and Tim might consider a new forum or maybe a sticky topic for us to rank how the sabers hold up to actual use and what we prefer when its comes to handling and dueling.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This Topic should suffice... If you modified the Title.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

I think Tim is waiting to do a conversion kit for it. If he offered I'd take him up on it though and just do the mod with the parts when they came out myself.

I will mod the title!

Great questions man.

The only problem I see is that the whole issue is so personal and VERY subjective. When I build a saber for straight up slam dualing I mount the switch in the butt as shown very beautifully by JediSaberSmith. I also use 20 guage sink pipes instead of 22 guage for that added strength. I know that there has been a huge debate on blade length and I am sure that everyone here knows that I like 36 inches and Zhi-don likes 40. and so on and so on...

I do really like the ribbed section for a dualing saber and have done a few MHS hilts now. I would love to really try to do something a little fancier but I always seem to end up with the basic battle hilts.

Oh and about the main question. It's Mauls saberstaff Ultra style, is there really any reason NOT to get it?[}][]

<center></center>

He doesn't have a "Kit" but I think he will convert it using the stock parts. ie. he'll replace just the LED's and the blade.

But you'll have to ask him.

(Didn't he give a converted DM for the Advertising contest?)

And I'm not trying to steer business away from Ultra, I hear he does Excellent work, I'm just pointing out that Tim does it too. Since it is his forum.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

As far as size, I think it's the best fx to date compared to the actual saber. The great thing about maul's saber is there are no thin parts. It's pretty much a long tube with stuff added on to it. The only problem is, like you said, the buttons.

If you don't plan to do any cosmetic alterations to it, invest in some gloves. A fellow poster (NYJedi) has "field tested" it, so to speak, and he found that the knobs and such tore up his hands.

Other than that, do as you will. I duel with the 05 Anakin, and it tends to "bite" ya if you get really spirited. I had to invest in gloves, as I didn't want to mar it. However, I'm thinking of doing a convert where the control box is removed; that should cut down on my hands needing the Palmolive treatment! ("Your soaking in it!")

You don't need to see any identification.

I played with it for about 20 minutes in San Diego at that Fan Force's Anniversary party. It's heavy. A lot heavier than I thought it would be. The shorter blades make manuvering it easier than with the Park's version. The switches are cool because you can't shut it off accidentally. You need two end caps to make 2 sabers, so it isn't as easy to convert it during combat. The sounds are pretty nice, maybe a bit louder than the other MR's. I'm not sure that I would like to fight with it for any length of time because of the weight. A strong guy wouldn't have any problem with it. Of course it's a Dark side weapon, most of the Jedi train using one, but do not use one for thier everyday weapon. Neither do they use two sabers, although we know they are trained to ala Anakin. The Jedi standard is a single Lightsaber. At least in my era.

Zhi-don Aquintas
    XO RL Sunrider Base
    Treasurer/Head Instructor
    Lightsaber training OCSWS

About gloves.. I found that my MMA(mixed martial arts) gloves have pretty good padding in both the palm and the top of the hand. I used to do alot of bokken sparring and I know how often the top of the hand gets whacked.

Yeah I was thinking the buttons might be a pain. How long is a single hilt? I forget the measurements right off, I just like to have plenty of room for my hands. I am mainly wanting to do exhibitions at cons etc. in which I'd prolly be using the double...but for personal prolly would go single alot.

Edit: Hey lets keep this going I want to hear about the Vaders, the Maces, the Luke ROTJ!

Brian

Hilt is pretty long. As it's supposed to be pretty screen acurate. Glove...I wouldn't duel without 'em. I like my hands and fingers. I use military grade leather. Ravenswood leather makes good cow and deerhide gloves. I recommend them. You don't want too padded gloves as they make you lose your 'feel' for the blade. You also don't want thin cloth ones. OUCH!

Zhi-don Aquintas
    XO RL Sunrider Base
    Treasurer/Head Instructor
    Lightsaber training OCSWS