Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SW other genres crossover sabers

Default SW other genres crossover sabers

A few of us have been discussing the looks of light sabers with design crossovers to other movies/genres and I thought it would be a good idea to open this for ideas from everybody.
    Maybe we can get some designs/renders. It would be good if we could include some of the MHS parts in these (for Tim's sales), but custom is good also.

So to start off, an easy one, Iron Man SW crossover. This could be mostly MHS parts with the main body in gold and thick ali sleeves in hot rod red. Blade should be light blue or white. I think it would look quite cool.

Another one I was thinking of is a master & commander nautical theme. sabre made from simulated whale bone with emitter & pommel in brass, with brass work along the hilt and scrimshaw (engraving) in the whale bone.

I will be busy trying to get my sabre finished, but will try to get some drawings done this weekend and post them when I get them done.

On a tangent, I was considering Harry Potter world, and was wondering if a sabre, like a wand, is attuned to the jedi or sith who created it. As they must use the force to assemble the sabre, does it resonate to their contact with the force? I don't recall reading anything about this in any of the books I have read. In Potter world, a wizard can use another's wand, but it will not perform as well as it would for the real owner.
    Just a thought

Come on folks let's see some great ideas, maybe some will actually get built.
    Last edited by Sloda Foade; 05-20-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

Interesting...

The Iron Man one would look good if done right, and I think that a Knight Rider themed saber would be cool as well, no? Maybe a simple, boxy desing with lots of red, green and yellow accent LEDs, and a scanner as well...

Good idea... I MIGHT and only MIGHT do some desings if I have extra time..

Great thread.

EDIT
    Hmmm I have a neat 10 LED 3volt LED chaser circuit around somewhere using a 74HC14 and 74HC4017. The chaser would need to be pretty big for the KR sabre
    Last edited by Sloda Foade; 05-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Here's a pretty neat Green Lantern one over on the FX-Sabers forum
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22717.0

That is one nice saber. Gemini always do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    Interesting...

The Iron Man one would look good if done right, and I think that a Knight Rider themed saber would be cool as well, no? Maybe a simple, boxy desing with lots of red, green and yellow accent LEDs, and a scanner as well...

Good idea... I MIGHT and only MIGHT do some desings if I have extra time..

Great thread.
    Knight Rider was one of my favorite shows growing up. Hell I still drive a black Pontiac too lol.

I would love a Knight Rider themed saber
    -Sidd-

Can't believe I've never seen that GL saber before. I've been planning to make one at some point. FWIW, there is a Marvel character, Kid Deadpool, who uses 2 lightsabers. I don't know much about that character though.
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

The Rivendell saber: Sun-gold PC with media blasting in soft, curved lines with an overlay grip of lathed white ash ("The White tree of Gondor") in that interlocking arching pattern, with a green blade.

You could do an approximation of the "knight rider" scanner LEDs with a CF board and the proper sequencing. And a sound font of engine noises and the KITT voice.

As far as a "Harry Potter" saber would be concerned, it may be worth exploring the concept of magnetic switches that would respond to a magnet in the glove of the wielder. I see much carven wood hilts for that particular crossover.

Star Trek (Heresy!) crossover sabers would have rather less bare metal and more plastic look, with more ergonomic shapes in the handle areas. Holstered rather than beltclipped. At least, for the Federation. You could go nuts designing Klingon sabers in a lot of Sith-analog styling. Much with the black with red blades and spiky bits.

DC 'verse: Lantern Corps sabers. I realize that the Corps can do pretty much anything they want with their rings but seeing a set of color-coded saber hilts with the various corps logos would be most impressive. Double points for the Black Lantern corps.
    See also: Kryptonite saber, the Batsaber, etc.

Marvel 'verse: X-Saber, Spidersaber (although I think he'd be more at home with a Stokhli Stun Stick.) etc. I imagine Adamantium would act like Cortosis alloy or Phrik.

Todd McFarlane/Spawn Saber: Lots of texture in the overlay, maybe attached to some kind of chain, with a nasty evil imp face in the pommel with glowing red LED eyes. Mainly black body with white and red accents.

Neverending Story saber: Two opposing versions: A white-on-white-on-white in faux carved ivory hilt with detailing in the style of the palace of the Childlike Empress with the Orobouros on the pommel in silver and gold and the black-on-black-on-red of the Nothing with a flat black hilt with a polycarb overlay containing silver glitter powder in a black medium for that 'swirling clouds of nothingness' effect, and a broken Orobouros in silver and black.

Steampunk's been done to death but I always like to see it. Brass, wood and copper. And more brass.

I have another idea in crystal but I'm saving that one for me.
    Last edited by Darth_Dadderall; 05-20-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Derp Todd not Seth.

What is life but the passage to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Dadderall View Post
    Seth McFarlane/Spawn Saber: Lots of texture in the overlay, maybe attached to some kind of chain, with a nasty evil imp face in the pommel with glowing red LED eyes. Mainly black body with white and red accents.
    Did you mean Todd McFarlane? Cuz I know quite a few of the toy lines would make some wicked sabers.

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Did you mean Todd McFarlane? Cuz I know quite a few of the toy lines would make some wicked sabers.
    Derp, you were right. Edited.

What is life but the passage to death?