Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Illuminating my piece of Star Wars...

I'm no expert on film, but does anybody know what those squiggly lines are at the side? I think they have something to do with sound...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Yeah, AFAIK they are the digital audio tracks. I have seen film with tracks on both sides, but the ones on the right on those was for a digital multi projector system which triggered multiple overlapping projections. I don't think that one is very widely used.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Cool.

But being able to see the rough texture of the wall behind some of the clearer cells is kind of distracting.

Maybe you could put some sort of diffusive background directly behind the cells and move the LEDs closer to them?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

something that might contain the light so it doesn't bleed out the sides in the back?

I think this would make this look more amazing than it already does.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, that, too.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    something that might contain the light so it doesn't bleed out the sides in the back?

I think this would make this look more amazing than it already does.
    a thicker frame perhaps

it wouldn't need to be much more than a half inch thicker to enclose it, if that

definitely enclose it!

the frame of Han in ST gear is my favorite
    interesting display!!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

That's pretty sweet. I didn't know that Lucas ever sold actual frames from the films. Very cool setup you have there
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I'd build a new frame, and use 3-5 extra LED's along the top of the frame as spotlights on the actual plaque, so you can see the whole display with the lights off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    But being able to see the rough texture of the wall behind some of the clearer cells is kind of distracting.
    You can only REALLY see that if you have eyes like my camera does. Its really hard not to look at the frame itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    I'm actually considering using my 10th LED to make light come out of the other side as well. Its not very symmetrical atm. And trust me... it does look cool with the light coming out the back. Kinda like when you put a torch on the floor and it casts a long beam. Looks almost lightsaber-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
    the frame of Han in ST gear is my favorite
    Mine too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    I didn't know that Lucas ever sold actual frames from the films.
    He didn't. From what I've heard about the company who made this, Rye by Post, they actually take butchered bits of film from collectors and cut them up to make these. I still love it though

Quote Originally Posted by KuroChou View Post
    I'd build a new frame, and use 3-5 extra LED's along the top of the frame as spotlights on the actual plaque, so you can see the whole display with the lights off.
    You know, because its above AND below shelves, its dark enough to see the frames, but light enough to see the display. I don't usually turn off the lights to look at it.

EDIT:
    I took some pictures to illustrate my last point. This is lights on, some daylight.

Backlight on:
    Last edited by Skottsaber; 05-17-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent