Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: eastern57's lighthound momentary to latching switch mod

Yeah, that Pololu is another option that I haven't done yet, but planning on doing so.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

So I got my Pololu switchs but I don't see how to use this to make a momentary switch into a latching switch for a sound board.

I am an electronics newb so bear with me. I attached the mom switch to the board and tried just attaching the switch (+) from the sound board to the VIN and the switch (-) to the VOUT but got nothing. I didnt want to run any juice from the battery through the Pololu because that would have sent voltage to the sound board switch probably damaging or frying the board.

Any wiring help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

not mine just helping.
    linky

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by ari-jaq xulden View Post
    not mine just helping.
    linky
    Thanks!! Bookmarked.
    Apparently I just needed to hook up a ground.

In the middle of the board there are 2 holes to connect a mom sw. 1 V in 1 V out & 2 common ground connections. Vedy simple Vedy easy.

I recently did this lighthound pcb conversion myself, and managed to get a few more pictures that may prove useful to someone:

I put the MR board's positive switch lead on the solder pad on the flashlight pcb where the led 's positive side was soldered. The gray wire is the negative for the flashlight pcb. I soldered to the board's negative that leads to the battery later.

The negative switch lead from the MR went to the other point on the pcb where the negative side of the led was soldered. The polarity of the switch wires probably doesn't matter, but I decided it was better to be safe than sorry.

The two white wires shown in the above image are the wires from the illuminated anti-vandal switch I used on that particular saber. their polarity doesn't matter.

I ran the gray negative lead for the flashlight pcb through a hole in the MR board then soldered it to the pad where the board's negative is also soldered.

Added batteries to the saber, pushed the button, and the saber fired up:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I have done this about 4-5 times now, and always had it work....but I did a build last night where I tried this with two different PCB's and was still getting the same results...I couldn't shut the board off. I switched wires around, tried different switches...same results. Is it possible that some MR boards are just picky on this?

Could, be Caine. I've only done it three times now myself, and they have worked for me each time. What switch were you using? If it is an AV style, double check to make sure you have the leads from the switch on the correct rterminals, "common" and "normally open." I did that once myself on another saber that was usign a Pololu board instead.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Could, be Caine. I've only done it three times now myself, and they have worked for me each time. What switch were you using? If it is an AV style, double check to make sure you have the leads from the switch on the correct rterminals, "common" and "normally open." I did that once myself on another saber that was usign a Pololu board instead.
    Nope, it was just a mini tactile ...then I tried it with a micro pushbutton (like the ones sold in the store here) and still no worky. I double and triple checked my solder points to make sure there were no bridges, and it was clean....so I figured that the board was just being a punk (which happens now and then as we all know)

That was likely the problem....a board with an attitude.