Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Basic Saber Build list of parts

New to the saber scene here, and first post (eek!) I don't want to upset the powers that be, but the logistical/supply situation especially with regards to international shipping seems a bit ridiculous to say the least!

As someone who would love to be a customer some things that almost Force (no pun intended) people to look elsewhere for their wants are firstly that products are unavailable which pretty much seems to be most things in the TCSS catalogue, secondly no indication beyond "as soon as we can" as to when stock will become available. The third factor is shipping costs that cumulatively make piecemeal purchases for projects due to stock (or lack thereof) issues prohibitively expensive.

One solution would be to have a UK 'warehouse' so that components could be shipped in bulk and distributed out from a UK hub without having the inflated costs of individual orders having to come across the pond. If any of the powers that be want to have a chat about doing this (they may not want to go down the direction of having a UK/European distributor for whatever reason) it could open up their products to a larger customer base that is being cut out by the reasons being given above; and it would be an interesting project to try to make it work.
    Last edited by GaleForceEight; 03-29-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added thoughts and information

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpcgamer View Post
    I just picked up an Acolyte hilt from Saberforge... and yes it took a long time to get to me ... but its very sweet. I am trying to figure out what parts I need to add an LED... and I can see not see a definitive list of parts (currently available) that will fit my saber hilt. If I buy an LED... do I have to get a heat sink? should I just buy the LED module and connect it to a buck buck? what about the off and odd switch? What about a wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance for direction...
    I've spent a while browsing the store recently so I may be able to help you - the LED Module comes with the housing, lens, emitter, thermal tape, and prewired to a quick release plug. You would also need the buck puck, a latching switch, and a battery pack. As I recall, the battery pack should be the 7.4v one and the buck puck is a constant current regulator so you need to choose the one to match your LED selection (short wavelength emitters - red end of the spectrum - will often require less power than the long wavelength green and blue emitters).

One thing concerns me though - will the TCSS module fit the dimensions of the SaberForge hilt?

FYI. JQ Sabers are the UK company that bulk orders from TCSS. They have to cover shipping costs but overall it's cheaper and easier than international shipping and UK customs. However, they also have to wait for TCSS to make parts. Interest in this hobby has blown up over the last year so much that they are still catching up. Check the TCSS FB page for stock updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    FYI. JQ Sabers are the UK company that bulk orders from TCSS. They have to cover shipping costs but overall it's cheaper and easier than international shipping and UK customs. However, they also have to wait for TCSS to make parts. Interest in this hobby has blown up over the last year so much that they are still catching up. Check the TCSS FB page for stock updates.
    JQ sent me a message basically saying they have suspended any custom orders outside of the bodies they have in stock; so their business is suffering as a result of the supply and logistics issues as well since they would only be getting the troll's leavings of what TCSS have left over after their own backorders are being completed. Not sure what the answer for this would be other than outsourcing production of components to other engineering firms until supply has caught up with demand.

Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post
    JQ sent me a message basically saying they have suspended any custom orders outside of the bodies they have in stock; so their business is suffering as a result of the supply and logistics issues as well since they would only be getting the troll's leavings of what TCSS have left over after their own backorders are being completed. Not sure what the answer for this would be other than outsourcing production of components to other engineering firms until supply has caught up with demand.
    Well, that ain't good for us then.

Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post
    Outsourcing production overflow would not be to other engineering firms. It would need to be contract manufacturing. I know of several dozen, but to be honest TCSS prices are at or below what most would charge him to do the contract manufacturing to the tolerances I have seen from the parts I have received from him. Unless he went to Asia, then tolerances and consistency would be the main concern.

Let's keep this on topic.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

In the parts list, it specifies to get one of hilts 1-4. Is there a problem with Hilt 5 or was it just not available at the time of the original post?
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster, and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death my apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON1160 View Post
    In the parts list, it specifies to get one of hilts 1-4. Is there a problem with Hilt 5 or was it just not available at the time of the original post?
    Hilt 5 came later.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Awesome! Thanks, that's long been a question I needed answered.
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster, and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death my apprentice.