Thread: PVC saber build while waiting for parts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post PVC saber build while waiting for parts

Having looked at most of the brilliant saber builds on this site, I feel that my first efforts are a bit pathetic, but I'll let you decide.
    I had ordered some parts from TCSS, and they took some time to get down under (Australia) so I decided to see if I could put together some PVC practice lightsabers similar to Jay-Gon Jinn's PVC ones elsewhere on this site.
    The main problem is that AUS PVC pipes are totally different sizes from America. The two sizes are called 20mm (actually 26.5mm OD and 23mm ID) and 30mm (33.7mm OD and 30mm ID). So first problem, none of the supplied blades from the store will fit. Eventually I found a supplier of poly carbonate thick walled tubes (no thin wall) of OD 22mm which fits nicely. So on with the building.
    I followed Jay-Gon's example, but couldn't get a captive wood "nut" any smaller than 6mm, was looking for 4mm which would have been closest to Jay-Gon's.
    The LEDs I found locally are Cree and I got some Pucks which run the Cree's at 350mA, actually quite bright. Each of the 2 sabers I have finished have a battery cradel made from 2 single AA battery holders wired in series and hot glued together. A double AAA pack wouldn't fit in the pipe, just 1 mm too big.
    Here are some pics of the Padewan saber I made first for my son and the sith saber for myself. The switch on the sith is in the trigger of the Quickshot joystick.

There are some more photos at the photobucket site, plus one of another PVC saber I was about to start before I went in for surgery.
    When my sister saw these, she requested one for her birthday.
    http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/...e/Lightsabers/
    Last edited by Sloda Foade; 05-12-2010 at 05:31 AM.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight