Thread: Powdercoating and engraving...and dremeling.

Default Powdercoating and engraving...and dremeling.

Hey all. I am considering getting that 12 inch tube of MHS material for my current saber, once I have the main body constructed.

I am planning on getting it powder coated copper jacket metallic, and it will be cut extensively.. Not only will it have multiple windows for the PCing below it to get some attention, it will also be cut into two parts to keep the choke profile.

also I plan to engrave the Jedi emblem onto the sleeve around the activation button, and I plan to color it a sort of rust red color. I think it will look good with the copper jacket color.

The question is in regards to the PC cracking. I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do this as far as shipping and such goes.

The safest, and most expensive way is to:

A) buy the tube, get it home. sand it, cut it, engrave it.
    B) ship it back to Tim, PC it copper, clearcoat PC it.
    C) pay for shipping back to me.
    D) um...figure out the jedi emblem coloring later >.>

OR

buy it, get it PCed copper, ship it home.

cut it, engrave it, clearcoat it...probably from an airbrush.

then there is of course:

Cut it, engrave it, spraypaint it, spraypaint the symbol myself, clearcoat the whole thing.

I sort of want to stay away from spraypaint, because the main hilt is being powdercoated right now. I don't want the two not to match and the outer shroud to look obviously worse than the rings on the main hilt.

I don't think Tim is currently accepting powdercoating as a send-in service.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Or have Tim do everything in house. Cut shroud, engrave emblem, PC it. No need for clear coat. PC is damn tough stuff. Sometimes TOO tough.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Or have Tim do everything in house. Cut shroud, engrave emblem, PC it. No need for clear coat. PC is damn tough stuff. Sometimes TOO tough.
    I was not aware that Tim started cutting shrouds? (hopes he is wrong)
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Sith Lord

No one has really asked yet, but if he gets a request then I believe he will do it for you. It's just a matter of setting up his CNC mill for it
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    No one has really asked yet, but if he gets a request then I believe he will do it for you. It's just a matter of setting up his CNC mill for it
    *does the happy dance*
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I would like to try doing some. Just no extravagant ones quite yet please.

I could also just engrave a emblem right into the hilt.

On problem though.. I do not want to do copyrighted logo's or symbols.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

hrm. I don't know any jedi symbols that aren't copyrighted.

I'll have to do some reading up on personal symbols and such. I honestly don't know about a lot of the filler content regarding the societies, the Order, and the civilization that isn't shown directly in the films. I do remember that Kit Fisto had a greenish yellow symbol on his fighter.