Thread: scratches and powder coating

Default scratches and powder coating

How do you know what kinda scratches will show through powder coating/see them when powder coating.

I realize deep ones will but what about 220 grit sand paper scratches. They feel smooth to the touch but you can see them when the light hits them...

I'm being lazey I guess don't want to have to work up to 600 grit sand paper if there's no reason I know that the powder coat can be alot thicker then spray paint and spray paint sometimes covers these kind of scratches. I'd also like to give the powder coat alittle something to grip to. (I know that's not really ness but I want to anyway)

it wouldn't be clear PC I know everything shows through that.
    Embracing Immense Passion You Will Find the Peace You Seek.Grey Jedi Master Jase Kala Maris

Council Member
    Sith Lord

This depends upon what type of PC you are using. Matte colors cover most scratches. Translucent colors are a no go, so use 600 grit and polish prior to PC-ing.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

darn... so much for that off to Homedepot.

thanks for the advice.

I'm useing a chrome and gloss over it. fyi.
    Embracing Immense Passion You Will Find the Peace You Seek.Grey Jedi Master Jase Kala Maris

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yep, you need to sand and polish, sorry.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

IMHO.. anything that is even half way transparent..or not a THICK color..

ie: flats/mattes work best as stated..

but even some 'CHROMES' are more of a silver or grey even and very thick..

ALWAYS (always) test your PC on a new/test piece before doing your production piece.

that being said..i still dont even think 600 grit it enough.. you WILL see swirls and fine sanding marks.

the ensure the best PC you can achieve... you must always start with the best BASE possible.. (buff, prep and clean as best as you can for best PC results)

ya know I'm glad i asked this, I thought this stuff would be thick like melted plastic and sink in the tiny straches and leave a smooth surface. Man was I wrong, thanks again.

for some colors and finishes, they do.

Chrome and gloss? Be sure to post pics when you're done--I want to see how that looks finished.