Thread: Possible Solution for the Cheap Saber Conundrum

Default Possible Solution for the Cheap Saber Conundrum

So I have had a lot of people ask (and seen posted on the boards),
    "How can I make a cheap but cool saber?"

The answer is usually...this isn't a cheap hobby and there really isn't a good way to do it. I might have an idea that I am going to try.

It begins with this item:
    Bayco LED Flashlight SLR-2380
    Usually sells online for $15-$20

Possible total cost:
    Flashlight $15-$20
    New LED $8-$10
    Blade/tip/etc ~$15

It's realistic that you could put together a decent looking, stable saber for ~$40 depending on what you needed exactly.

-Flashlight: 1 Watt (25 Lumens)
    -Floodlight: 30 LEDs (60 Lumens)
    -Rechargeable
    -Impact resistant ABS case

Now the floodlight effect is very cool and can be left alone or maybe put a colored film on the inside of the plastic shield for color effect, I am aiming to replace the "flashlight" led which is white 1 watt to one more commonly used for sabers like a P4 White LED.

When we open the flashlight up (very easy to do just by removing 5 phillips-head screws. Here are pictures of the innards:

I find that is is organized very well and laid out great.
    Here is the connection for the single LED board which should not be hard to replace.

The nice thing about this is all the wiring for switch and charge port is already done! The button when pressed has 3 tiers.
    1 Press - Flashlight only
    2 Presses- Floodlights only
    3 Presses - All Light

The width of the opening is 1.25" across, so finding a suitable blade holder shouldn't be that difficult.

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome, will update with finished photos when done.
    Last edited by cordaroyfog; 05-11-2010 at 02:30 PM.

color film with something of a shroud over the floodlights might be a cool effect...

I suppose you could also loose the floodlights and wire in a hasbro board for sound, although
    the startup sequence would be a little funky
    Last edited by cannibal869; 05-11-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    LOCKHEED

hmm...funny thing is I saw one of those flashlights just the other day and I wondered what might be in them and was amused by all the LEDs. Maybe some trans white blade material inside the window.

Banned Sith Lord

thats a good find bro!!!!

ive got a tac light that im converting to a p4 for my daughter that would also make a cheap option, i think i gave 7 for the light which came with a star o. gutted it and had plenty of room for buckpuck, p4, custom heatsink, switch, trustfires and recharge plug... as soon as i finish milling out the end for the blade holder and tapping it ill post picks. granted tho its for my 10 yr old, the light is maybe 5 inches total, it fits in my hand with only about a quarter inch of the emitter end showing

What about a lens/holder, heatsink and blade retention...possibly blade holder. I'd be worried about cracking the casing.