Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confirmation, please: Force FX sound variations

Default Confirmation, please: Force FX sound variations

This is one of those things that's hard to dig up with the search engine because of the tendency to use abbreviations (e.g., "MR") shorter than four characters in length.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this, but I'd appreciate confirmation.

It is my understanding that prior to the recent release of the Asajj Ventress, Force FX sound came in only two variations: Jedi and Sith. Force FX Sith sound is notoriously scanty, and Jedi sound has more variation, but the sound programming in all Jedi sabers is the same, as is the programming in the Darth Vader and Darth Maul sabers.

One thing that makes me wonder if I'm right is this line...
    Anakin ROTS 2005- Darker Gold Plating/enhanced ignition sound
    ...from the "FFX Lightsaber Variation Master List".

Can anyone offer any positive confirmation one way or the other?

Thanks in advance!
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's probably just someone's perception. I believe all the Jedi boards have the same sounds, but they can sound different, depending on which saber they are in, like from having more, or less resonance inside the hilt.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

J-Lo is correct. All jedi sabers have the same board. Different sounds are determined by the speaker/resonance room in the saber. All sith sabers are the same way.

Exceptions are the Joe Jedi which has BOTH sets, and then the Asajj Ventress which has its own board (super crappy, don't use it).
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thanks, J-Lo and Lord Maul. You confirmed what I suspected.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Why does the Mace Windu board sound like a cross between the Sith and the Jedi boards? It's not quite as high pitched as the Jedi board, but has more clashes than the Sith board.

It was just posted.
    Resonance.

I.e the amount of space the sound has to travel around inside the hilt, making it sound deeper or higher.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

No, I understood the post left by JL quite clearly, however I had hoped that she, Lord Maul, or someone with experience with the Mace boards could verify that they too were the same.

The reason being that I have a stock Mace Windu ROTS, as well as a first edition Mace Windu soundboard with a premium speaker and both sound different than my MR Anakin ROTS, MR Obi ROTS, MR Yoda, Vader ESB and ANH.

So, I understood the resonance explanation quite clearly, however I didn't know how that would then apply to my Mace board outside of a hilt, without any sort of resonance chamber. It still sounds deeper, like a Sith board, but with the clash effects of the Jedi board.

*shrug*

Council Member
    Sith Lord

They're all the same board. In the same hilt with the same resonance, they should all sound the same.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Didn't the ROTJ Luke have an extra clash?
    butthurtz is a path to the darkside.
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to butthurtz. Butthurtz leads to suffering

Thanks Aluke for the quick response. Is there a possibility that the board setup itself, where the Mace board is setup to use 6 AAs and splits the voltage between the speaker and the LED bridge, may be affecting the depth of the sound?

I've modified the setup so that it is using 4AAAs and currently, I'm getting 4.4 - 4.5V to the LED bridge and 2V to the speaker. Does this sound correct to you?

If you say that a gutted Anakin soundboard sounds the same as a gutted Mace, I'll believe you .

Maybe it's just my ears, but both in the MR hilts and outside in raw soundboard form sound different than the other boards. But my wife has said I'm going deaf.

LOL...