Thread: Noob questions :)

Default Noob questions :)

Thsi is my first post to please don't abuse me to badly.

I ordered this Luxeon Rebel Tri-Star LED before I found these forums so I don't think I have the standard LED everybody else uses?

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Blue-470nm...-b0030-20t.htm

Anyways im still new at electronics and trying to learn. On the website they insist your use a buckpuck. Will I be ok using a resistor instead of a buckpuck?

If I do use a resistor will a 5.6ohm 10watt resistor be sufficient for this with a 9v power supply? Also, for a 9v power supply is it better to have one 9v battery or 6 AA batteries(?) ??

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by WillyUT View Post
    Thsi is my first post to please don't abuse me to badly.

I ordered this Luxeon Rebel Tri-Star LED before I found these forums so I don't think I have the standard LED everybody else uses?

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Blue-470nm...-b0030-20t.htm

Anyways im still new at electronics and trying to learn. On the website they insist your use a buckpuck. Will I be ok using a resistor instead of a buckpuck?

If I do use a resistor will a 5.6ohm 10watt resistor be sufficient for this with a 9v power supply? Also, for a 9v power supply is it better to have one 9v battery or 6 AA batteries(?) ??

Thanks for the help!
    Your LED is essentially worthless for use in a saber. There's no optics available to focus the light up into a narrow beam like we need for a blade. If you want a really bright LED for a saber, there are better options here in the store, or other places online you can find if you dig around in the search feature a bit.

For batteries, 9v cells SUCK. They have no capacity. If you need 9 volts, better to use 6AA batteries to achieve it. The single 9V has a capacity of something like 450mAh, where the 6AA solution could have upwards of 2600mAh...MUCH longer run time for the same voltage.

As for resistor versus buckpuck - resistors bleed off excess current as heat. Buckpucks regulate current to provide a specified amount and don't bleed off excess. Buckpucks are FAR more efficient. Nowadays, resistors in this hobby are relegated to little accessory LEDs in our hilts or rumble motors.

Thank you for the quick reply you answered all my questions!

On a side note, if you are in utah...we have a UT Jedi group here you can join, plus put your pin on the TCSS googlemap! ok, threadjack over
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Yep im in UT. Give me a link and I will join!

Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~