Thread: MR Lighsaber Construction Set as a BASIS

Default MR Lighsaber Construction Set as a BASIS

Hi Jedis and Siths,

I'm pretty new to the Lightsabers world but I already own few of them...

I recently decided to get a MR Lightsaber Construction Set, looking at it like a fantastic piece for playing with friends that don't own any and want to create their own saber before dueling but obviously as a strong basis for a stronger customisation...

I'm talking first here about converting plastic parts in metal parts. Has someone ever done that? I haven't found any trace on Google or into the forum...

And I'm talking about real custom work... Like designing a full hilt that would fit on the aluminium basis of the MR LCS...

I'm actually looking for someone able to use machines to create that, based on a design... Maybe a 3D design...

If anyone has some info about how I could realise that project... A company name... And the softwares I should use...

Best regards to you all and may the Force be with you.

There are Quite a few threads that discuss how to build yourself a lightsaber here. If you are looking to simply convert the 616 set you can find a thread here that will explain this. (try searching for construction in your search criteria) You obviously did NOT read the welcome to the forum post at the top of the forums. Go read the thread index, and the N00b so you wanna build a lightsaber thread by LDM.

These should give you a good start.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think he's talking about getting the plastic parts of the kit replicated in metal.

I don't know why anyone would want to do that with some of those parts, like the emitter shrouds that are all squashed and short looking.

It would also be expensive to have someone machine those parts for you.

Not to mention the fact that asking for someone here who can do that for you it against the forum rules, because it's soliciting.

It's also an insult to Strydur who has a whole Store full of machined aluminum parts that you can put together in many different configurations to make a custom saber.

It's a lot more cost effective to buy parts here then get crappy, badly proportioned, out of scale plastic parts replicated on your own.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post

It's also an insult to Strydur who has a whole Store full of machined aluminum parts that you can put together in many different configurations to make a custom saber.
    It's a lot more cost effective to buy parts here then get crappy, badly proportioned, out of scale plastic parts replicated on your own.
    QFT.

If you were, however, really interested in using the aluminum sleeve for something, Erv made a really awesome Starkiller saber out of it. I'm sure you could figure out your own way to customize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    There are Quite a few threads that discuss how to build yourself a lightsaber here. If you are looking to simply convert the 616 set you can find a thread here that will explain this. (try searching for construction in your search criteria) You obviously did NOT read the welcome to the forum post at the top of the forums. Go read the thread index, and the N00b so you wanna build a lightsaber thread by LDM.

These should give you a good start.
    Like Shad said there are lots of threads on MR Construction kits. As an example. I used a 616 to make this as I hated the plastic parts and how shakey they were.

Basically I cut up a Maglite (I also had to cut it down the middle to fit over the internal chassis), found a piece of S/Steel and copied the switch set up of one of the plactic switches (using the switch button and housing) and secured it with some pointed tip set screws. The top emmiter and pommel are metal peices from the kit it self.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

IMO, if you are somewhat in the know of this hobby, those stupid construction kits are good only for a 5 year old...and even then that's pushing it. My kid is getting an MHS based saber when he's old enough....period.

Unless you plan on gutting that kit for the soundboard, don't even bother wasting your $$ on it, IMO. Even then, that's too much to spend just for the 616 board.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    IMO, if you are somewhat in the know of this hobby, those stupid construction kits are good only for a 5 year old...and even then that's pushing it. My kid is getting an MHS based saber when he's old enough....period.

Unless you plan on gutting that kit for the soundboard, don't even bother wasting your $$ on it, IMO. Even then, that's too much to spend just for the 616 board.
    I think you need to look at his post count regarding the "in the know" bit Caine.

Also I think people initially thought the boards would be ok to use. The truth is they're a bummer because of the way the switches are set up and the general lack of power.

It's all well and good to get a MHS first time around but that's not an option for everyone.

I made the above saber before I even knew about TCSS and I think it turned out fine as a beginner saber.

People learn from everything so, I say let them learn. Soorner or later any saber fan will see how good a basis MHS is for any saber and switch.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Opinions vary...

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!