Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to cut off a screw using a Rotary Tool

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Oh, I thought it was a special vise...

woopth.
    Nope....nothing special...got it at Sears when I bought the drill press.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quick question...is this what you have to do with the MPS insert that has the D-ring in the middle? Because I just got mine in the mail and the locking nuts wont tighten past a certain point and thats not far enough to secure everything nice and flush. The little cap that goes over the D-ring and holds it in place lifts right up since there is about 1/4" of the threads between the locking nuts and the back of the insert.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Elf View Post
    Quick question...is this what you have to do with the MPS insert that has the D-ring in the middle?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Elf View Post
    Because I just got mine in the mail and the locking nuts wont tighten past a certain point and thats not far enough to secure everything nice and flush. The little cap that goes over the D-ring and holds it in place lifts right up since there is about 1/4" of the threads between the locking nuts and the back of the insert.
    If they aren't tightening enough you're doing something wrong.

Are you using an allen wrench on the screw heads to hold them and keep them from turning while you tighten the nut on it? If you aren't, you'll never get those nylock nuts tight enough.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

That pommel insert was hard to assemble for me because the insert needs to be in place before the d-ring and I overlooked that..hehe

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's really fun trying to install that into one of the longer pommels.

NOT!!
    TCSS MODERATOR

I want to reiterate the point that you should NOT touch the screw immediately afterward. It may not glow red, but it certainly will feel like it's that hot.

Also, WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Little flakes of metal will fly off the screw as you're cutting it down, and the last place you want them is in your eye.
    Last edited by Obi-Ben; 07-15-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I was recently cleaning up my work area (a table in the front room of my mom's house where I'm back living) really well for the first time in too long. I found cut off pieces of screws melted into the carpet fibers.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I am using the same cut off whell in the pics, but i keep spinning them! I tighten as tight as it will go without snapping. When im cutting, the wheel stops but the dremel keeps going! Thank the force i finished my shroud before this started!
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

might need a different mandrel for the cutoff wheels ...ran into that a while back the screw wouldn't seat all the way replace it and you should be golden

One other thing to try is the quick-change mandrel that Dremel has for the rotary tools. Because of how the mandrel and wheels are designed, it locks the cut off wheel in place so it has no chance of spinning.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.