Thread: First Lightsaber - Aerea

Smile First Lightsaber - Aerea

I finished this a while ago, but I'm just posting the pics now

Luxeon III Amber, 5 deg lens
    1999 Qui-Gon Hasbro Soundcard

Only pieces I used from TCSS for the hilt were the 1 of: 1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder that I used as the emitter and all of the electronics. The rest were all spare plumbing parts I had lying around (thanks to my dad, who happens to be a plumber) with the exception of the outer brass covering which was custom machined.

I made the blade using THIS method stickied in the LED Blade Discussion section. Though, I doubled up on the amount of cellophane that was used in the tutorial. The blade is also removable via a spring loaded push and twist mechanism. There is a spring in the emitter, as well as two screws that hook into two L/U-shape cuts in the base of the blade. The spring keeps the blade tight against the screws.

I feel like its a little rough looking but overall I'm really happy with the way it turned out, especially with it being my first one (of hopefully many) and all.

More pictures here:

http://polyverseforge.blogspot.com/2009/05/lightsaber-2009-aerea.html
    Last edited by gcnywaldork; 03-10-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Fixed pictures and links
    ~ Ariana

Lightsabers: Aerea | Unnamed Green Saber - Open to name suggestions! Please see the thread.

That is very cool saber!

Looks very Sidious inspried... I love the overlay, though it could use some sanding to make it more even?

Amber is absolutely perfect shade for this beauty..
    Last edited by Rafalema; 05-01-2010 at 12:39 AM.

NO! Don't make it shinyer! I like it how it is, kinda weathered, ancient.
    As if somebody came after 1000 years to the Death Star II wreakage, and found Sidious' lightsaber, battered by space.

Loving it! Well done!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I agree with Rafa.

A little bit of sanding and some wet and dry to soften it up a bit would make it better. You have a nice shiny looking chrome and a really rough brass shroud. If you dont want to shine the brass you could roughen the chrome sink tube.

Otherwise really good effort.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Nice job.... I like it!

strong work! Nice to have a plethora of available parts, huh?
    Very sidious indeed!
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice first entry into the saber world.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default ...

I like this saber. I like how the overlay looks all beat up. I'd keep it that way. Gives the saber more character.

Wonderful contrast between the brass and the chrome tube, I agree not to shine it up is awesome as it is.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

i looked at your photobucket pics and i have to say that i love the amber color for your saber. not too many people use it, but you sure rock'n it
    So let it be written, So let it be done.