Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: protected li-ions and PCB?

Default protected li-ions and PCB?

Can you use a PCB with protected cell li-ions?

Should I? Could anything bad happen? Would it just be more protection?

Overkill is fine with me.
    Embracing Immense Passion You Will Find the Peace You Seek.Grey Jedi Master Jase Kala Maris

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

No, do not use the PCB with already protected cells.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Bad, make you blow up, no-good-yuckiness....
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I've heard of people using trustfires with a recharge port set-up and li-ion smartcharger which still isn't supposed to be a good idea, but not with a PCB.

Okay! I'm soooooo glad I asked that!

But now I have to beg for a simple explanation. Because I'm a little confused. I thought both these devices limited the voltage and current charge and discharge rates so why would combining them be so bad.

I'm sorry for the simple stupid question and I'm not going to do it but I would like to understand this better so I don't make a similar bad assumption in the future.

Thanks!
    Embracing Immense Passion You Will Find the Peace You Seek.Grey Jedi Master Jase Kala Maris

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

One of the things the PCB does is protect the batteries from over charging. What if charger did not know which PCB to pay attention to and tried to charge it once, and then again? Maybe it could cause the battery to explode.

Or what if it caused your batteries to discharge too much current and burned out your LED?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Hmmm...

I suppose I was thinking very digitally. Simply yes or no. On or off. That the Smart charger checks the single and continues charging or shuts off after checking the PCBS. Like having a back up system double checking sort of thing. But I should have been thinking more analog. I hadn't thought of getting a false positive message being sent to the smart charger and causing an over charge or discharge!

J-LO that was the prefect simple answer, thanks a lot!

(( checked to make sure this is not a necro post))

I already asked this over here ...

But I am still curious...if we are not supposed to charge the trustfire li-ions in the hilt...what are we supposed to charge?

Is the only current solution to use the Li-Ion unprotected cells with the protection circuit and a recharge port?

Quote Originally Posted by Causa View Post
    (( checked to make sure this is not a necro post))

I already asked this over here ...

But I am still curious...if we are not supposed to charge the trustfire li-ions in the hilt...what are we supposed to charge?

Is the only current solution to use the Li-Ion unprotected cells with the protection circuit and a recharge port?
    NiMH are chargeable in hilt and do not have the volatility of Li-Ions
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Fear the Li ions do not. Powerful batteries they are. With great power one must be careful. Used properly this power must be or venting with flame may occur. If you wish to harness this power complete your training you must.

A warning young padawan. To use Li ions in series use the proper PCBs & chargers you must.