Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's Nickel Saber 1 (NS-01)

Default Jay-gon Jinn's Nickel Saber 1 (NS-01)

This saber had been sitting a box for nearly a year until about a month ago, when I finally decided on the direction it should take. It started out as an idea for an alternative finish to the Brass and Chrome Saber series, using a satin nickel plated 8" slip joint extension I found at Signaturehardware.com. It is 20ga. and so the MHS adapter had to be turned down to 1.43" to fit, and I had Tim drill a guarded switch in the adapter , too. The parts came in and then it sat since I got busy with other things.

I was originally planning on using a regular ribbed extension from TCSS on it, but noticed one day while cleaning up my parts table, that I still had the ribbed/choke combo piece I got from DARTH VADER at FX-Sabers sitting there un-used. I put it in the box with the rest of it, and swapped out the guarded style I was planning on using for an illuminated AV style instead. Then it sat for a couple more weeks while I worked out what blade holder would work best with it. I also had to make a final choice for the sound board, and went with the Ultrasound 2.1 I got from one of the members at FX-Sabers, since I didn't think an FX board would do this saber justice.

I decided on an MHS style 14 and using a piece I cut off from the sink tube, tied it in with the rest of the hilt. I sent the ribbed combo off for some custom Nickel powder coating, and it came back Saturday in the mail! With that final piece completed, I assembled it yesterday, and here she is:

Nickel Saber 1 (NS-01)

This was a pretty simple construction type of saber, but I think it really turned out nice! It's powered by a 4-AA battery holder and has the option to use rechargeable NiMH AA's too. The main blade led is a Seoul P4, and the blade is one of my standard Dual-Core Diffusion Medium Grades with the modified TCSS rounded blade tip.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I really like this saber. I cannot however, help but feel a strange sense of loss when i see the sink tube end. Not that it is not well done (i have throughly enjoyed your sink tube parts in the past) It just doesn't seem to fit as well as something machined like MHS might. This does not detract from this saber's awesomeness at all, more said in way of feedback is all
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I agree, but there's not much I can do about that, really. Unfortunately, the satin nickel finish is only available from the supplier in this style of plumbing tube (slip-joint extension). Otherwise, I'd have to get a regular tube and have it powder coated in that color, which after factoring sending it to some that can do the color, and the shipping back and forth, adding an MHS extension and pommel & insert, it'd cost the same as the ready-finished tube does.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Definitely likin' the color and feel of the nickel. I may have to look for some for myself....
    It'd have a great application in the saber I'm making for one of my teachers....

Banned Sith Lord

wow jay gon i love your new style. its kind of refreshing to see something new and fresh from you. not saying your last sabers were not nice they were friggin awesome! its just more awe and wonder to see some fresh new design style.

i have to say the nickel is my personal favorite out of the 50+ sabers that you have made. i love it. it almost looks like brushed steel.

you know jay gon. you may ask to see if tim would possibly machine you single piece pommels that just slide in and are held together with three or four bolts for all of your builds (kinda like the way the adapter is held on). might clean them up a little and also give tim a new product he may stock. . this way it would eliminate: MHS sinktube adapter with custom machine work to fit inside your sinktubes, MHS pommel, MPS insert, and clip. plus save time because he wouldnt have to deal with threading and stuff. then you, jay, could easily drill your own sound holes.

food for thought. but once again nice work and i love this,

WoW! Loving the nickel for sure. Not crazy about the sink tube pommel but the rest is awesome. It really has me considering nickel for a future build.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you've got yourself a new line of sabers! I really like them.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I love that nickel finish! The accent of chrome with that powder coating gives this saber a regal appeal imo. Time to start saving up the pennies

VERY, VERY nice! I really like the look of nickel, kinda looks like the prequel era sabers, with their dull metal look. I love this one, would love to see it in green!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I dig this saber a lot! I love the use of the choke.
    ...YUP!