Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TCSS Translucent white 3/4" blade v. 1" UltraEdge blade

Default TCSS Translucent white 3/4" blade v. 1" UltraEdge blade

Here's a couple of comparison pictures of Tim's new white translucent 3/4" blade compared to a 1" white UltraEdge from UltraSabers:

The UltraEdge is a bone stock direct from Ultrasabers blade, while the 3/4" is one that I put together myself. I modified the blade tip on the 3/4" myself so it is lit up as bright as the rest of the blade. It has about 6 feet of polypropylene film installed. Both sabers are running CF soundboard and have the same led settings for 1200,a w/the same flicker settings as well. Both sabers are running Seoul P4's, too.

You'll notice that the white core on the 3/4" blade in the pictures dims a bit in the middle....that is a slight drawback to modifying the blade tip mirror to allow light to pass around it and light up the blade tip. I think it's a fair trade off, and the camera makes it look worse that it does in person. That said, I think Tim's got a real winner here for those of us that prefer 3/4" blades for show/costume sabers rather than dueling.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thank you Jay for the blade comparison. I think this new blade stock is awesome. I'm looking forward to using it.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I have found this comparison to be exactly correct. thanks for posting Jay!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I have always had really good luck using chrome window tint in the tip of the blade. It allows the light to pass through and still reflects the light so that the color is even. I know some guys at a local auto tint shop and they give me the scrap pieces of the tint.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Obi-Dar had a great idea to eliminate blade flicker/pulse for taking photos: paused on iSaber.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Obi-Dar had a great idea to eliminate blade flicker/pulse for taking photos: paused on iSaber.
    Yeah, that would certainly do it! I hadn't seen that posted anywhere, though, and just didn't think of it since I rarely ever use iSaber.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I'm glad to see this thread but I think the comparison is underselling it. I got a 1" thick walled trans white blade 40" long and...I put it in a lux 3 direct drive saber...no diffuser,film, or tip and it lit up almost perfectly base to tip with very little fade. The tint diffuses so well you can tell it's thickwalled. Can't wait to finish it. The only downside is the pastel look that the white gives some colours. I'm also looking forward to trying it on a white p4 with discs/filters.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 04-20-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I would like to hear more feedback from people using these without a diffuser or with the corbin film etc as I will then offer to sell complete blades based off the white tubes.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I just ordered two pieces of the new thin walled blade stock today. I'm using them for my first led string experiment, but before I do that I'll put one of them in my kids saber with out any diffuser in the blade and post pics.

I just received my translucent blade stock today. The blade in these pics are not cut down. They're the full lenghth, I believe it's 40 plus inches, and its 1" thin walled. I just put the mirrored tip on it and put it in my wifes saber. There isn't any diffuser in it at all. Her saber has a LuxIII blue, 5 degree lens, cheapo hasbro board and is powered by 4 AAA nimh batteries sold at the shop. The top of the blade looked a little dim, but I'm sure after cutting 10 plus inches off of it, that will make a huge difference. The first pic was taken w/out flash and the second obviousley with the lights out and no flash. I really like this blade stock. This is the stuff I'm going to use from now on. Thank you Tim for finding this stuff. I hope these pics help. Thank you again Tim.
    Attached Images Attached Images