Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee filters Info and Q & A.

Hi all
    My personal favorite Lee filter is probably #052 light Lavender. The trouble is that the richer the color, the dimmer the blade. The higher the lumens, the more washed out the color gets. It's a trade off.
    On a side note, 1 watt Luxeons produce around 25 lumens of light. 3 watters get around 80 lumens and the 5 watters give about 120 lumens. The new white K2 LEDs are rated for 130 lumens with a lower input voltage. So you get the voltage requirements of the 3 watt with brighter blades than the 5 watts. Unfortunately, they only come in emitter form at this point and that means a little harder time mounting them. They're more efficient in emitter form however, but that's besides the point.
    As for the future of LED blades, I'm currently working to get distributorship status with a company making 10 and 20 watt versions of the Luxeons. You heard right. The white ones produce 400 lumens in 10 watt and (get this) 700 LUMENS in the 20 watt setups. [8D] That's really damn bright.
    Of course, the voltage requirements and heatsinking will be outrageous. I'm wanting to get them so you don't have to turn the saber off too cool it down every few minutes. A large heatsink with a fan will almost definitely be required.
    Anyway, I just thought I'd share a bit. By the way, if you want an interesting detail on your hilt, get some Lee #272 or 273 and use it under some slots in the hilt. The texturing makes for a cool accent. I've also sculpted some sculpy around a tube to try and see if it would work for grip material. Using the 272 to emboss the clay makes for a cool texture.

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

Corbin, that is awesome news. Can't wait! 700 lumens?!!! Holy Mother Teresa. I was looking at the datasheet pdf on those...the heatsinking didn't seem like it would be that bad considering the wattage. Maybe I missed something.

As far as Lee #272, i'm saving that for a reflective tip when i get around to making a red saber, as per your suggestion that gold works better with red LEDs.

"This is U.S. history, I can see the globe right over there..."

Grrr no luck on finding a 3 Watt LED flashlight. Any idea's where to look? I'll end up buying one from Tim or Corbin, but I wanted to place a big order to save on shipping and I'm not ready for that yet.

Again, any idea what store might carry a 3watt LED flashlight?

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku

I was in Lowes tonight and they had them by the cash registers. It had a white 3 watt luxeon in it.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

as the guy said in the goonies, holy mary mother of god, will ya look at that! 700 lumens. man, eyeballs will blow out with those suckers. (evil laugh)

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Thats right, Mi Gin Gonn said that if you look at the base of his 5 watt it hurts your eyes. I can only imagine what that would be like. More likely our eyes will limit the techology in our sabers.

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku

my camera's finally cooperating with me (somewhat), so here's my Lee Filters pics.

First, keep in mind that I'm using a 5-watt LED, and your results may vary. A 5-watt can use filters with deeper colors and still trump the brightness of 1 and 3-watt sabers. If you're using a 1 or 3-watter, you may want to try a filter that allows more light transmission (Lee Swatchbooks group colors together, with the lighter shades preceding the deeper ones). Also, remember that my camera isn't 100% accurate, these colors look a lot richer and more movie-authentic in person.

Ok, here's what we're starting with...5-watt white LED saber:

Next, my favorite Mace Windu purple, #048 Rose Purple, first with daylight in the room:

And then in darker ambience (my camera gives it a blueish tint, but trust me, in person, you can hold it up to your TV screen during EPII/III and Samuel L. Jackson himself will stop in mid-acting and go, "Mmmmm....now that's a tasty purple":

Next is #068 Sky Blue, which makes a very nice ROTS blue:

Here's #115 Pea**** Blue (#131 Marine Blue does the same trick), a nice EPIV Skywalker blue (try a slightly lighter shade for a dead-on Obi Wan EPIV white-blue):

This is my current favorite green, #738, Jas Green (perfect ROTJ Green in person, and lights up the entire blade VERY evenly):

(the last two pics were taken on a different day than the others, but those colors are just as bright as the others...in fact, actually brighter in person)

Here's #767, Oklahoma Yellow as suggested by the_steve. I used to hate yellow sabers, but this one is as bright as the friggin' sun...i'd sure hate to see the look on some EL enthusiast's face when they lit up a dim pink EL saber and i whupped this one out on 'em, lol:

By far, a decent red is the toughest color to get. Most of the filters come out either orange or pink. This is the best red, methinks, #106 Primary Red (my camera gives a orange flare at the base, but it's a pretty damn even red in person):

I found what's really helpful with these swatchbooks is to flip through them while holding each one up between your lit saber hilt and your polycarbonate blade. It's not quite as color-accurate as actually dropping a filter in the saber and inserting the blade, but will save you lots of guesswork, as many filters look different on their own vs. lit up (for example, a lot of the purple filters make a more ROTS blue-colored saber rather than a nice Mace Windu color). I did that with the majority of the swatchbook, jotting down a note on each swatch's paper backing as to how the color saturation/light transmission was, as well as which SW saber the color most resembled.

If you don't take notes of any kind whatsoever, your desk will look like this after a couple of days/hours:

Thanks Mi-Gon the pics look great.

Just do me a favor and when my little girl lights up her pink EL saber, don't make her cry to bad[]

<center></center>

lol, james, get/build her a LED saber and use a filter. as a matter of fact, i have the PERFECT girlie pink. not vader EPIV pink, no, a pink that my all-time beloved crush herself would love, # 148 Bright Rose. that's what i jotted down on my swatchbook notes, "number 148, Jane Wiedlin girlie pink."

well i sent a email to lee filters to try and get a book of them. if i get them, then i guess my next purchase will be a white led.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...