Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Lee filters Info and Q & A.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

come on elrond.
    we want pics
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul

come on elrond.
    we want pics
    I told you.

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

I haven't got any response from the montreal retailer, and didn't get any samples so far.

I guess its not available here
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Quote Originally Posted by neophyl
    White leds cover a whole range of wavelengths. Thats why they are classified by K (Kelvin, equivalent hue of the white light produced when compared with normal bulb sources, its a lighting industry standard).

Wavelength = colour. All a filter does it let certain wavelengths pass through it while stopping the rest. Theres no point in matching a filter to a non white led except to tweak the shade slightly as was already pointed out.

When you 'see' an object, say red for example. Its red because the substance its surface is made from absorbs all the other wavelengths except the red ones (approx 660nm). A black object absorbs alot more of the spectrum thereby appearing black. Technically theres no such colour as black, its merely the absence of most of the wavelengths of light that we can see.
    You guys should really pay attention to this information. Phil is TOTALLY on the ball with it.

Also, do not forget that every LED... ALSO has a range of coloration in nm... this is what makes one "green" different from the next.

When ordering LEDs, it is unlikely you will get the EXACT same specification on (let's say) 5 green Luxeon IIIs... because they probably won't come from the same product run. During manufacturing of LEDs, not everything is perfect. Sometimes one "blue" comes out... uh... "bluer" than another blue. One wavelength is 475, another is 450... so sue them.

This is another reason why you'll hear "conflicting" stories on what color is "better". Well, when you compare a MEASURED 530nm Green LED to a (let's say) 515nm Green... you've got a big visual difference. Some will say that green looks "teal". Others will say HOLY COW, my green is SWEET. Differing nm values. ACTUAL values, not the "typical" ones listed on the luxeon websites.

FILTERS: Applying the same filter on differing LEDs will naturally give differing results! Sometimes, they will be unsatisfying. If you take Phil's advice, you'll work to really "dial" your filter in.

BUT... that is A LOT of work just to get some watered down, filtered-arse color. I for one think you can achieve almost any color just fine (I have a "Royal Blue" that looks VERY purple to me)... but it ends up the luck of the draw on LED bins bought... unless you order thousands at a time, such as what Corbin or Tim have mentioned you need to do in order to "select" an exact bin of an LED.

*WHEW* A lot of work just to get some color alteration.

I say skip the filters, get a great colored LED and buy replacements over time until you really get the "right" blue or cyan or whatever... for YOU! Experiment with colors that are "next" to one another. In other words, cyan vs. blue... or blue vs. royal blue. You'll be surprised.

They are cheap enough at what... $6? each?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    They are cheap enough at what... $6? each?
    yeah, they are cheaper nowadays.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

gearing up for My Chemical Romance on July 19th!!!

is there still a way to get the numeric swatchbook from lee filters for free? I sent them an e-mail and i got a notice from gmail that they can't deliver the e-mail to "mail@leefilters.com" because it doesn't exist any longer.
    If you are reading this sig, then please pay attention to the following statement:

The owner of this account is now using the name "Jacen_Aurion" sorry to confuse everyone but I'm no sith lord by any means.

I AM A JEDI!!!

it's leefiltersusa...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

aha! of course it is, i'm such an idiot!
    If you are reading this sig, then please pay attention to the following statement:

The owner of this account is now using the name "Jacen_Aurion" sorry to confuse everyone but I'm no sith lord by any means.

I AM A JEDI!!!

sorry for the double post, but just wondering, about how long did it take some of you guys in the U.S. to receive your filters?

I AM A JEDI!!!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

a few weeks, there is an edit button you can use.

BLUE 3- Ready