Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An idea for Hasbro "Economy" boards

Default An idea for Hasbro "Economy" boards

Hey guys

I was thinking about how great it would be to have the best of both boards, the force action that can drive the LEDs but has... questionable sound, and the 2010 board that has awesome sound, but can't drive LEDs, so you need either a relay etc that can be confusing to some, and then it sprang to me.

If Goltar can run 2 economy boards at once, why can't you do this with the 2 types? Why not run the force action for the LED, and have no speaker attached, and have the 2010 running no LEDs, but have the speaker attached?

Thoughts?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It would be a whole lot better to use a buck puck or the new driver than the Force action board. With the force action board you are still limited to 350 mA. Plus, a buck puck is about the same price or a little cheaper than a Force action lightsaber.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

@Skott...

This kind of thing is done all the time:

* El cheapo Sound board used for sound...
    * Direct drive used for light...

* Buckpuck used for light...

* Corbin board used for light...

etc. etc.

Sure, the wiring/electronics can get messy/involved--but it works. And certainly I'd rather feed 1A--or whatever I DEEM FIT--into most any given LED (for blade/saber illumination) rather than be "stuck" with 350mA from a Joe Jedi / MR616 or "Force Action" or... whatever.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Oh, cool. Must've overlooked that in some builds. I am just stumped how you could switch on a direct drive/buckpuck setup with a momentary switch. I thought that by putting the boards like that you would only need the 1 mom switch.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Differing board types (and mixtures of this board + that) would require some planning/thinking to get it to work well. BUt for example:

* One momentary button for sound...
    * One latching for light...

...so you could individually address both. Maybe even separate battery packs. It's ONE way.

* Match a momentary "cheapo" sound board with...
    * Momentary Corbin board (you can choose the switch type, I believe)

...there ya go...

* Match a latching "cheapo" sound board with...
    * Latching Corbin board (you can choose the switch type, I believe)

...and you can use one DPDT switch... ~or~ still go with 2 switches so that you could individually address sound... light... or both.

Take-a you pick, anh?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The way most of us do it is to use a relay. The coil of the relay is energized by the LED output of the board and one side of the relay contact goes to the battery + and the other goes to the LED +. The LED - goes straight to the battery.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Isn't the transistor easier and cheaper? Haven't done it personally, as I don't usually mess with these boards, but the 2010 ones have some pretty good sound.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I haven't used the transistor either and I can only speak of what I have used. I do plan on using the transistor in the near future though.

I have tried both, and the transistor was a lot easier to wire up. But if you can find the relay locally, it's cheaper.

Youngling

The appropriate relay is about $1.50 at Radio Shack, pretty dang cheap. And not too hard to wire either.
    "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."