Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RGB led not working

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Actually LEDs have a reverse voltage limit and it is usually lower than the forward voltage limit. It is entriely possible that you fried it. However, you confirmed that the pads are reverse marked, but wired it according to the markings anyway? You have the Neg wire soldered to the Pos (marked -) pad and the positives going to the neg pads. Why?

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Actually LEDs have a reverse voltage limit and it is usually lower than the forward voltage limit.
    Oh. My bad. Well, as they say, you learn something new every day!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I did not wire the led according to the markings. They were done in reverse because I read that they were mislabeled on dealextreme.

Jay-Gon: The wires were pretty solidly soldered to the pads, but the solder also extended onto the black part of the star as well. Would this cause any problems? I figured that the black was non-conductive, so it wouldn't matter, but this was just a guess, so I might have messed up there.

I think I'll probably just re-wire everything with cleaner connections and smaller wire and see what happens, but I haven't had time to, and probably won't for a couple weeks, since I've got a lot of stuff going on in the very near future.

Thanks all for your help.

Do you think that the manufacturer may have corrected the problem and labeled the LED Correctly? Try holding the wires onto the LED and see what happens.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I tried that before I soldered anything just to confirm the labeling. It was backwards, so that's how I soldered it. But since it worked then, the problem is narrowed down to either shoddy soldering, or a blown led, if you guys can't see anything wrong with how I wired it. Once I have the time to resolder the connections, that should tell me which it is.